Audio By Carbonatix
Australia's mushroom murderer, Erin Patterson, intends to appeal against her conviction, her lawyer has told a court in Melbourne.
Earlier last month, Patterson was sentenced to life in jail after a jury found her guilty of killing three relatives and attempting to kill another by serving them a toxic beef Wellington laced with poisonous mushrooms.
She maintained her innocence during the 11-week-long trial, claiming that the disastrous meal had been an accident.
No details of the proposed grounds for appeal were given during Thursday's brief administrative hearing, and the appeal has not yet been formally lodged.
An appeal is not an automatic right - her legal team must convince the appeal court in the state of Victoria that there were legal errors and that they should hear the appeal.
Patterson was sentenced to life in prison, with no chance of release for at least 33 years.
The jail term, one of the longest ever handed to a female offender in Australia, means Erin Patterson, who turned 51 this week, will be in her 80s before she can apply for parole.
Patterson killed her in-laws Don and Gail Patterson, both 70, and Gail's sister Heather Wilkinson, 66, after serving them a toxic beef Wellington at her home in Victoria in 2023.
Heather's husband Ian Wilkinson, a local pastor, survived the lunch after recovering from a coma and has ongoing health issues related to the poisoning.
The case sent shock waves through the small town of Korumburra, where the Pattersons and Wilkinsons lived.
The weeks-long murder trial this year, which attracted international attention, ended with a 12-member jury finding Patterson guilty on all charges.
A Supreme Court judge said Patterson's crimes were the "worst category" for offending and involved an "elaborate cover-up".
Justice Christopher Beale added that Patterson "showed no pity" for her victims in the days after the lunch, as those who had eaten her toxic meal fought for their lives in hospital.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
1 hour -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
1 hour -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
4 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
7 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
7 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
7 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
7 hours