Former Railways Development Minister Joe Ghartey has wished his successor well as he faces Parliament’s Appointment Committee to be vetted.
In his latest article, the former Attorney General recounted the longstanding cordial relationship between him and the Hohoe MP.
Mr Ghartey, an astute lawyer, described Mr Amewu as his brother and shared fond memories of them.
He expressed profound joy that after serving as Railways Development Minister from 2017 to 2021, his own brother, Mr Amewu, has been nominated to succeed him.
For Mr Ghartey, the appointment of Mr Amewu is a step in the right direction.
“My Brother, you will succeed to the glory of God,” he prayed.
Below is Joe Ghartey’s full article:
John Peter Amewu my brother, will succeed.
I am sure people are wondering why a man whose mother is from Western Region and whose father is from Central Region and also who has ancestry to Greater Accra and the Ashanti Region will call a full-blooded Voltarian his brother. Indeed I am a Voltarian. I am a Voltarian by choice but not by birth.
I visited my mother’s brother, William Cornelius Daniels, who was working in Hohoe and I fell in love with the place, the people and the Volta Region in general. Where I stayed from 1983 to 1993 was with Phillip Kudji (Coujay), in the house at Hohoe behind the statue of General Kotoka, on the way to St Francis. We were with Lawrence Gborgblor (Family Man), Wisdom Akoto, Marlon Anipa, John’s older cousin Walter Amewu, Ativor and my brother Coujay and others.
I remember you attended my vetting with me in Parliament in 2006 when I was being vetted for Attorney General.
We laid a strong foundation for NPP at its formation and today my brothers and sisters in Hohoe are still strong in NPP.
Is it not amazing that many years later I should serve in Cabinet with my brother John Peter who like me also hails from Hohoe.
Is it not even more amazing that today John Peter Amewu is going to become the second Minister of Railways Development.
When I became a Minister I went to church in Prampram and the Reverend Minister asked Madam Joyce Aryee to pray for me. She prayed for support from the President, patience from the people of Ghana and interest in the sector from investors. I can say without any equivocation that her prayer for the four years I was in Office came to pass. I pray the same prayer for you. Today the railway sector is at the same place that the petroleum sector was, a few years ago.
Your experience in your previous portfolios will stand you in good stead. My Brother, you will succeed to the glory of God, the people of Ghana and our people in Hohoe.
And let all the believers say Amen!
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Some OMCs start reducing fuel prices, GOIL down by 3.5%
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- Ghana football: How to dribble around nationality rules
- Cyril Ramaphosa: South African president faces threat of impeachment over ‘Farmgate’
- Moody’s downgrade is a signal that investors must exercise patience – Prof. Peprah
- Seek out Vulture investors now – Prof. Peprah to Ofori-Atta
- Banks, investment firms have not acted fairly towards Ghanaian investors – Dr. Atuahene
- National Queen Mothers Platform joins fight against illegal mining
- Defer interest payments and pay principals – Prof. Peprah
- Harmattan Season: Wildfires destroy food crops in North-East Region
- NHIA opens new office at Mion
- Second Lady calls for comprehensive development of children
- Include persons with mental health conditions in immunization programmes – MindFreedom Ghana to GHS
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians – Prof. Stephen Adei
- Directors of ‘The Woman King’ auditioned me for a role – Prince David Osei
- Government’s management of economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Supreme Court dismisses suit against GRA’s pay 30% before challenging Act