Mothers of the two adolescents whipped by Bishop Daniel Obinim in front of a congregation over alleged acts of fornication have supported the action by the bishop.
The frail looking mother of the young girl, said to have been impregnated during the act of fornication, is even ready to invoke curses on people who are calling for the pastor’s arrest.
Her counterpart, Lady Joy, who is mother to the boy, in an exclusive interview with Joy News’ Mamavi Owusu Aboagye also supported the decision by the bishop to flog her son.
Both mothers were present in the Cathedral, Wednesday evening when the Bishop removed his belt, whipped the young couple and later invited one of his right hand men to join in the whipping.
The whipping was captured in a video that has now gone viral on social media.
In the video, the congregation is heard cheering the Bishop on while he whipped the two. The video has attracted widespread condemnation.
The Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection, Nana Oye Lithur indicated in a Facebook post that her outfit has reported the matter to the Tema Regional Police.
Justifying the act on Multi TV’s AM Show on Friday, the controversial man of God said his action, which is biblical is to instill discipline in the teenagers.
He said his father Jesus Christ revealed to him while he was prophesying that the two teens were planning to terminate the pregnancy.
However, his conduct has been described as an affront to human dignity and a violation of the rights of the two adolescents involved.
Human Rights Lawyer Francis Xavier Sosu and two others have filed suits against the pastor seeking to have the bishop arrested and prosecuted for his conduct.
However, in an interesting twist, the mother of the young man who was flogged by the pastor in the video said she was very excited to watch ‘Angel Obinim’ discipline her son.
He is our father, he has been taking care of me and my son since my husband died. He is the one paying my son’s school fees and has the right to discipline him when he goes wrong, Lady Joy indicated in Twi.
She called on all who are condemning the pastor for ‘putting the children in their right place’ to rather commend him.
She continued that: “When my husband died and we needed help, no Ghanaian intervened, not even my family. Angel Obinim took me in and enrolled my son in school so they should leave the ‘angel’ alone.”
The girl’s mother, Akua Bempomaa who is also a member of the church feels the belting was not enough.
‘Papa should have beaten her more. Imagine what would have happened if the prophecy had not come and she drunk the medicine to abort the baby,’ she added.
Madam Akua Bempomaa
‘If Ghanaians do not stop condemning the pastor for correcting the children I will begin to invoke curses on them,’ the 72-year-old woman threatened.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years