The National Youth Authority has urged youth to develop a sense of urgency in pursuing their goals in 2018.
In a statement, the NYA want the youth to emulate President Akufo-Addo who has vowed to move at a "supersonic" speed in 2018.
The NYA which co-ordinates and facilitates youth development activities in the country observed that a lax attitude and procrastination is an enemy to the development of youth potential.
The statement signed by its CEO Emmanuel Sin-nyet Asigri said the easier part of every new year is setting goals but the secret to personal development is a 'do-it-now-attitude'
"Adopt urgency in 2018. Take your goals by the horns and persevere", he said.
Research has shown that about half of all adults make New Year’s resolutions. However, fewer than 10% manage to keep them for more than a few months.
Behavioural psychologists say the main reason that people don’t stick to their resolutions because of the 'false hope syndrome'.
False hope syndrome is characterised by a person’s unrealistic expectations about the likely speed, amount, ease and consequences of changing their behaviour.
The National Youth Authority also encouraged youths to consider agriculture as an additional means of income, pointing out there are growing examples of young people chalking success in the sector.
The government has signaled agriculture remains a top priority after it launched the 'Planting for Food and Jobs' program last April.
The flagship agricultural programme rolled out in 216 districts is to help address the declining growth of Ghana's agricultural sector. It is a clarion call on every single Ghanaian to take farming as a full time or part-time activity.
It is a five-year long policy to supply seeds, subsidized fertilizers, free extension services and marketing of farm produce with the help of technology.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach