Police are on a manhunt for three Nigerian men who kidnapped a Consular General and Head of Mission of Estonia in Accra on Thursday.
According to the Public Relations Officer of the Accra Police command, DSP Efia Tenge, 61-year-old Nabil Makram Bashbous was on his usual morning walk in his neighbourhood when he was abducted.
Narrating what happened Nabil Makram Basbous said on Thursday morning that about 10 minutes into the walk, a white Hyundai Elantra private car pulled up in front of him.
One of the occupants came out, pulled a pistol on him and ordered him to enter the car or risk being shot if he resists.
Mr Makram Basbous obliged, entered and was driven away with the kidnappers pointing a pistol and an axe at him.
According to Makram Basbous, he could not make out the location he was driven to but was detained in a room and held hostage for payment of ransom.
Meanwhile, the SWAT Unit of the Accra Regional Police Command picked up intelligence that some Nigerians residing at NTHC Estates, Vivian Farms in Lashibi in Accra, were engaging in suspicious activities.
They stayed home all day and only go out only at night, police intelligence revealed.
The police followed up on the intelligence and located the house, but their attempts to enter the house was met with resistance from the occupants.
In the process, all three occupants scaled over a fence wall at the back and escaped.
Mr Makram Basbous came out from one of the rooms, subsequently.
Police also found the car described by the victim in the kidnapping parked in the compound. A search in the vehicle found a pistol loaded with ammunition and two axes.
The vehicle has since been impounded and the case is still under investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Indian man hasn’t cut or washed his hair in 40 years
- Flight attendants share their biggest passenger pet peeves
- UNESCO, ECOWAS sign MOU to enhance safety of Journalists in West Africa
- Third complaint against Sir David Adjaye over multiple contracts
- Christian family refuses to pay income taxes because it “goes against God’s will”
- Woman, 34, murdered in Agona Swedru
- Parliament approves conversion of UDS Wa campus into University
- 43-year-old mechanic jailed 5 years for beating up police officers
- Photo of the Week: When 'abnormal' indecent exposure becomes 'normal'
- KAIPTC to host flagship peace, security forum to honour late Kofi Annan
- Video: Presec students create App to track exeats
- Public Procurement Authority receives top award in Berlin
- L’AINE Services ends career clinic in Tamale
- Court to hear stay of proceedings motion filed by Dr Opuni
- Mahama murder trial: Court orders BNI to give suspect more time with lawyer