Have you always wanted to watch 1.7 million wildebeests thunder across the Maasai Mara?
This is the year to realize your wildest dream— witnessing the Great Migration, shopping for elaborate beaded jewelry, and riding camels in the desert.
An hour by plane from Nairobi, you can be at the new Sanctuary Olonana, whose 14 glass-walled suites have wide decks facing the Mara River, or Beyond’s recently rebuilt Bateleur Camp, where you can watch elephants graze while you bask in a crescent-shaped infinity pool.
Or skip the savannah altogether and head for Kenya’s beaches, which are less developed than Zanzibar’s or Mozambique’s. Lamu—an island with a Unesco-protected, 14th century Swahili village and colourful sailboats lining its harbor—is an underrated favourite and well worth the extra (short) trip.
Get there fast: Just like Nairobi, the beach destination is benefiting from increased and affordable air travel, and crowds are sure to follow.
When to go: September, after the crowds have gone but while the migration is still crossing the Mara. January and February also rank high as a time to spot newborn wildlife.
When not to go: April and May. Rain makes the roads hard to navigate.
Also avoid overcrowded July and August.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Swedru Municipal guard, others in assault video remanded
- Twifo Herman: 21 Persons critically injured after heavy downpour
- Adaklu SHS debuts at NSMQ as Abutia SHTS scores -3
- 200 students displaced in Tamale as St. Charles SHS dormitory catches fire
- Akufo-Addo to host state banquet in honour of Asantehene
- Official collusion: Nigerians, Ivorian, others get Ghana birth certs cheaply
- KNUST Lecturer receives L'Oréal-UNESCO award
- Biheco shrugs off MAKSTEC, KRASTEC, in NSMQ qualifiers
- Basic schools in Agona West Municipality observe clean up day
- Black Stars vs Harambees: 15 photos you missed from the Afcon qualifier
- Awake Purified Drinking Water rescues Okwampa, Ayensuako residents from water crisis
- 'If we become an authority, we'll bite' - Road Safety Commission boss
- GRIDCo’s transmission tower in Tema hacked down
- Today's newspaper headlines: Monday, March 25, 2019
- World Water Day: How Nestlé increases access to safe water in Central, West Africa