The Manhyia Divisional Police in Kumasi has arrested a suspected child thief for attempting to steal a seven-year-old girl at Sabon Zongo in Kumasi.
It took the intervention of the Neighbourhood Watch Committee to save the unidentified woman from mob action.
The suspect, (name withheld) had managed to accost the little girl who was playing with her mates from the Kumasi Central Mosque at Asawasi on Sunday evening.
She claimed the girl was her daughter, insisting she lives in the Sabon Zongo community when questioned by an aunt of the girl.
Zeenatu Abdul-Salam whose vigilance saved the poor girl from being stolen tells Nhyira FM the woman attempted to escape when she accosted her.
"I saw children playing around at the Central Mosque. one of them is my sister's daughter so I told her to go home because it was getting late. As I moved away, I saw a woman in spectacles seated a few meters away. I became suspicious so I turned to look at her only to see her holding the girl by the hand. I asked her where she was going with the child. Her response was that she is her daughter." she said in Hausa.
Police found about Gh¢100 worth of coins in her bag during a search.
Assemblyman for Sabon Zongo, Alhaji Alhassan Bawa, suspects the woman uses the coins and the other items to lure her unsuspecting children.
Manhyia police will not give more details, except will be put before the court once investigations are over.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Third complaint against Sir David Adjaye over multiple contracts
- Christian family refuses to pay income taxes because it “goes against God’s will”
- Woman, 34, murdered in Agona Swedru
- Parliament approves conversion of UDS Wa campus into University
- 43-year-old mechanic jailed 5 years for beating up police officers
- Photo of the Week: When 'abnormal' indecent exposure becomes 'normal'
- KAIPTC to host flagship peace, security forum to honour late Kofi Annan
- Video: Presec students create App to track exeats
- Public Procurement Authority receives top award in Berlin
- L’AINE Services ends career clinic in Tamale
- Court to hear stay of proceedings motion filed by Dr Opuni
- Mahama murder trial: Court orders BNI to give suspect more time with lawyer
- Failed nurse jailed 22 months for faking documents
- The LEKMA road that kills people seeking medical care
- Bad roads: It's leadership's responsibility to FixLekmaNow - Residents