The Dubai government held its annual gender balance awards on Sunday, and men walked away with every trophy.
The Gender Balance Index 2018 awards offered up three prizes for people or departments who champion women and the pursuit of gender equality in Dubai.
These were a gender "personality" award, an award for a workplace initiative to make men and women more equal, and a departmental award for supporting gender balance.
The Dubai government's media office tweeted a photo of the winners after the ceremony, who were all men.
The tweet said the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, "honors the winners of the Gender Balance Index 2018."
The Sheikh "recognised the efforts" of one woman, Sheikha Manal bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
She carried out "exceptional projects that helped achieve the nation's goals of gender balance," the press statement said but she did not win an award.
On his personal Twitter account, the Sheikh described the awards as : "A great effort led by many parties to establish an environment that achieves a balance between the two sexes."
dubai gender awards
The United Arab Emirates is one of the leaders in the middle east for gender balance, according to UN Human Development Reports , with a Gender Development Index (GDI) of 0.97. This compares with 0.88 in Saudi Arabia.
After the government's press office tweeted the images, people were quick to notice the lack of female award winners.
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reporter Golnaz Esfandiari tweeted : "All winners of Gender Balance Index are men!?"
Nicholas McGeehan, a former Middle East Researcher with Human Rights Watch, tweeted : "Best Gender Balance Awards Ever."
Oz Katerji, freelance conflict and rights journalist tweeted : "This would be funny, if it was not so utterly depressing."
"The achievements of Emirati women today reaffirm the wise vision of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who believed in the importance of the role of women, and their right to work and become key partners in society."
The full titles of the awards were:
- Best Personality Supporting Gender Balance
- Best Federal & Institutional Authority Supporting Gender Balance
- Best Gender Balance Initiative
Business Insider has contacted officials in Dubai for comment but has yet to receive a reply.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Aggressive seagulls keep couple hostage in their own home for six days
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Video: Meet Sarafina, the 16-year-old anti-child marriage campaigner
- Paris planning flying taxis by 2024
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing
- Special Feature on 1V1D: Complaints by communities gov’t should not ignore
- Archbishop Porter Girls bundled out of NSMQ2019
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss
- Water tariff goes up by 8%
- NSMQ2019: Pope John get KSTS revenge to qualify for quarterfinals
- 4 Gov’t officials in road crash; 3 in critical condition
- Photos: Down but not out, the traffic lights that direct nobody