Audio By Carbonatix
The National Investigations Bureau, (NIB) has commenced investigations into allegations of corruption in this year’s Senior High School placement processes.
This follows a petition by the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service (GES), Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa to the NIB and the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service to investigate allegations of corruption in the placement of students under the Computerised Schools Selection and Placement System (CSSPS).
Some officers of the GES and the Ministry of Education have been accused of taking bribes of up to GHC7,000 to place students in their preferred schools, bypassing the CSSPS.
A letter signed by the Director-General of the GES, Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, on April 5, 2022, and addressed to the NIB, said the GES will cooperate fully to uncover the truth behind these claims.
“Management of Ghana Education Service will be grateful if your office could launch a full-scale investigation into these allegations to establish their authenticity or otherwise,” the letter said.
Also, the Ministry of Education has warned that the CSSPS personnel found receiving bribes to place prospective first-year Senior High School students in their preferred schools will be made to face the law.
About this year’s placement
At the beginning of the exercise, 555,353 candidates had qualified for placement, and as of last Tuesday, April 19, the number of candidates placed was 525,701.
Out of the number, 367,811 candidates were automatically placed, and 187,542 were unplaced.
Also, a total of 99,239 of the unplaced candidates got placed manually, while 112,198 went through self-placement.
Of the number placed, 379,390 have so far enrolled, with 263,358 of them being boarders, while 116,032 are day students.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
5 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
30 minutes -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
42 minutes -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
1 hour -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
3 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
3 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
5 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
5 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
6 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
6 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
7 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
7 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
8 hours