Audio By Carbonatix
After spending eight years in jail, a Nigerian televangelist accused of raping young women from his South African church has been found not guilty of all charges.
Timothy Omotoso had denied the 32 charges in a trial that was broadcast live and gained huge interest across the country.
In 2018, one witness told the court she had been raped by the pastor - who ran a church in the city of Port Elizabeth - when she was 14 years old.
When delivering the verdict on Wednesday, the judge presiding over the trial said that Mr Omotoso had been found not guilty because prosecutors had mishandled the case.
South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) shared a similar assessment, saying that "former prosecutors in the case acted improperly and the accused were not sufficiently cross-examined by the state".
The NPA said it will now "consider its legal options".
For his part, Mr Omotoso told the media he thanked God for the verdict.
Hi co-accused, Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sitho, were also found not guilty.
Mr Omotoso was dramatically arrested at an airport in 2017 as he sought to leave the country.
His trial was the first prominent rape case to be broadcast live in a country where sexual violence is rampant.
The hearings attracted huge interest, and raised difficult questions about victims' rights, impartiality and whether justice is best served by having television cameras in courtrooms.
Following Wednesday's verdict, Mr Omotoso will be deported to Nigeria, South African media outlet News24 reported.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
31 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
2 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
2 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
2 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
3 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
3 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
3 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
3 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
3 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
3 hours