Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's President Bola Tinubu said, on Wednesday, that economic reforms would continue despite increasing hardships that have fuelled public anger and promised to send an executive bill to parliament soon to set a new minimum wage.
Tinubu, who came to power a year ago, removed a decades-old petrol subsidy that kept prices artificially low and devalued the currency, sending inflation soaring to 33.69% in April, its highest level in nearly three decades and eroding incomes.
In a television broadcast to mark Democracy Day, Tinubu acknowledged hardships caused by the reforms, which also include higher interest rates and the partial removal of electricity subsidies, but he said this would create a stronger foundation for future growth.
"Our economy has been in desperate need of reform for decades. It has been unbalanced because it was built on the flawed foundation of over-reliance on revenues from the exploitation of oil," Tinubu said.
"As we continue to reform the economy, I shall always listen to the people and will never turn my back on you."
Nigeria is grappling with the worst cost-of-living crisis in decades and labour unions last week suspended a strike called to pressure the government to agree a new monthly minimum wage.
The government has offered to double the minimum wage to 62,000 naira ($41.89) a month against labour demands of 250,000 naira, and Tinubu said his government had negotiated in good faith. The last minimum wage was set in 2019.
"We shall soon send an executive bill to the National Assembly to enshrine what has been agreed upon as part of our law for the next five years or less," Tinubu said.
He did not say whether the bill would contain the government minimum wage proposal or a new figure.
Labour union leaders have said they would wait to hear back from Tinubu before deciding on next steps.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
10 minutes -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
12 minutes -
‘4.3m JHS, 9.5m primary textbooks’ – Opoku Mensah tells Education spokesperson to check records
12 minutes -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
14 minutes -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
19 minutes -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
23 minutes -
‘Hungry to win’ – Villa’s Konsa joins Arsenal in £55m deal
35 minutes -
Argentina’s Paredes banned for 10 games
35 minutes -
Republic Bank Ghana and Enterprise Life launch enhanced insurance products for customers
42 minutes -
Patrons explore property, construction solutions as Day 1 of Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair ends
50 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Anglican SHS cruise to one-eighth stage as Namong SHTS shine on debut
51 minutes -
Obaahemaa Nana Aframoa Fri
59 minutes -
Oppong Nkrumah challenges Deputy AG’s claim that his court application was based on ‘falsehoods’
1 hour -
Germany investigates Russia links to weapons cache discovered in woods, reports say
1 hour -
Two teenagers seriously injured after sword attack at Swedish school
1 hour