Audio By Carbonatix
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) is expected to meet today, Monday, January 26, to finalise its parliamentary candidate for the Ayawaso East by-election, party officials have confirmed.
The Greater Accra Regional Chairman of the NPP, Divine Otoo Aghorhom, said the party would adopt internal consultations rather than hold an open primary, following the death of the sitting Member of Parliament.
He explained that the National Executive Committee (NEC) had approved the establishment of a committee to conclude the selection process after he briefed party leadership on the constituency’s preferred approach last week.
“I presented the constituency’s position to NEC, and they decided to set up a committee to manage the process,” Mr Aghorhom told journalists on Friday.
“The committee is meeting on Monday, with our former General Secretary attending to provide guidance. While we are fielding a candidate, we will not be conducting primaries like the NDC.”
Potential contenders
Mr Aghorhom disclosed that two aspirants—one male and one female—are currently under consideration, with constituency executives having expressed support for one of them.
“The constituency executives have agreed on a candidate, whose name has been forwarded to NEC. The gentleman is the preferred choice at the constituency level,” he said.
“The committee’s role is to formally endorse this candidate and initiate consultations to bring all party members together ahead of the by-election. By Monday, we aim to confirm the party’s candidate and begin constituency-wide engagement.”
The Electoral Commission (EC) announced on Friday that the Ayawaso East by-election will be held on 3 March, following the death of the sitting MP, Mahama Naser Toure.
In a statement dated 16 January, the EC said the seat had been declared vacant under Article 112(5) of the Constitution, thereby triggering the by-election.
Nominations for prospective candidates will be accepted from 9 February to 11 February at the EC’s Ayawaso East Municipal Office in Accra.
Nomination forms will be available for download from the EC’s website from 16 January to 11 February, and completed forms may be submitted in person by candidates or their representatives within the stipulated period.
Latest Stories
-
Fire destroys ICT lab at Gushegu Midwifery Training School, threatens licensure exams
59 seconds -
Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
2 minutes -
Bawumia charges NPP executives to rebuild party for 2028 victory
4 minutes -
Unite the region and deliver victory in 2028 – Dr. Bawumia to new Greater Accra NPP executives
5 minutes -
Ukrainian strikes kill six in Russia, acting governor says
5 minutes -
The goal is to win 2028 polls – Bawumia
5 minutes -
GoldBod secures 30% of large-scale gold output for Ghana’s strategic reserves
6 minutes -
FDA warns against unauthorised chemicals for ripening plantain
7 minutes -
‘If you sell gold at a loss, you’re not a good trader’ – Afenyo-Markin jabs Sammy Gyamfi
10 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia meets new Greater Accra NPP executives; charges them to bring all talents on board
13 minutes -
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
26 minutes -
For President Mahama, every mother must live. What about you?
35 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
1 hour -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
1 hour -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
1 hour