The Mamprusi representative on the Bawku Inter-ethnic Peace Committee has said that the government’s call for the arrest of the supposed newly enskinned Bawku chief, Seidu Abagre Kulugu, is unconstitutional.
According to Mohammed Tahiru Nambe, the 1992 constitution states that no one can be arrested for a crime that does not exist.
Speaking on Newsfile, Mr Nambe said that the people of Mamprusi electing a new chief is not a crime for which the persons involved should be arrested and prosecuted.
“What the Naayire did the other time, what is criminal and unconstitutional about it? It is rather the state that is willing to create problems that do not exist,” he told the host Samson Lardy Anyenini.
“The Naayire had done things with the Mamprigu or Mamprusi customs and traditions. Assuming without admitting that the newly enskinned Bawku Naaba is arrested, what would be the charges preferred against him?” He quizzed.
Mr Nambe, who is also the lawyer for the ‘new’ Bawku Naba, stated that Seidu Abagre Kulugu is ready to go to court to clear his name of any wrongdoing.
“We will not say that we will take the law into our own hands. We will meet everybody in the courtroom and exonerate our client that he did not do anything untoward as far as the laws of the county are concerned,” he stated.
This comes after the overlord of the Mamprugu, Naa Bohagu Abdulai Mahami Sheriga on Wednesday, 15th February, enskinned Seidu Abagre Kulugu as chief of Bawku.
The enskinment ceremony was done at Nayiri’s Palace in Nalerigu.
In response, the government condemned the purported enskinment, adding that it was illegal and a threat to national security.
The government further reiterated that Naba Asigri Abugrago Azorka II was the Bawku Naba duly gazetted and a member of the national and upper-east regional houses of chiefs.
A statement signed and issued by the Information Minister said the security agencies had been directed to arrest and prosecute any other person who holds himself out as a Bawku Naba.
Meanwhile, the North East Regional Security Council has rejected the government’s directive to arrest and prosecute persons involved in the purported enskinment of a new Bawku Naba in Nalerigu.
The North East Regional Minister, Yidana Zakari, in a meeting with the Mamprugu Overlord on Friday, explained that the Regional Security Council has refused to arrest and prosecute those involved in the enskinment process.
This, he said was because the Regional Security Council believes any arrest within the jurisdiction of the Northeast Region, would be counterproductive.
The Regional Minister was at the palace to communicate the decision of the security council and also apologize to the Mamprugu overlord over the events following the enskinment.
- ‘Do I look like a fraudster?’ – Shatta Wale reacts to calls for FBI probe over his affiliation with Hajia4Reall
- I paid GH₵30,000 to fix my body – TikToker Aba Dope
- Perez Chapel’s Agyinasare given 14 days to appear before Nogokpo traditional leaders
- World Bank: Ghana likely to receive first tranche of $300 million by September if … – Frank Laporte
- Gyakye Quayson can vie for Assin North seat; it’s a calculated risk – Amaliba
- Chiefs endorsing candidates and political parties unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- Man slashes wife for asking for divorce
- Man fined GH¢2k and a sheep for allegedly attempting to sleep with friend’s wife
- Surfline SIMs removed from Central SIM Database
- Fear as Jamie Foxx left ‘paralyzed, blind’ from ‘brain clot’
- Kizz Daniels welcomes third child
- Jose Mourinho charged for using abusive language towards official at Europa League final
- Beneficiaries of StanChart Women in Technology programme share inspiring stories
- Benin petrol prices soar as Nigeria moves to end subsidy
- Funding for social intervention programmes could be cut if reforms are not implemented – World Bank Country Director
- Many Ghanaian girls have made sex cheap – Akuapem Poloo
- Bill Cosby faces new sexual assault lawsuit from former Playboy model
- Newly commissioned Catechist dies during Communion Service at Gowrie
- Coronation of King Charles III: How UK in Ghana marked the event
- NPA to commence prosecution of criminal acts under NPA Act 691
- Drive Safe Campaign: Accra-Tema Motorway Emergency Response & First Aid Post abandoned
- GBC staff issue one-week ultimatum over cancelled allowances
- US Embassy to help scale up Zipline’s operations after its impact in Ghana
- Lack of transparency and accountability may force us to cut support to School Feeding Programme – World Bank