Several armed men have laid siege at an underground mine operated by Golden Star Resources at Prestea in the Western Region bringing operations there to a standstill.
JoyNews sources in the area say three persons are already seriously injured including a police officer and contract security operative at the mine.
Speaking on Newsnite, Group Manager of Corporate Affairs for Golden Star Resources, Gerald Osei Boakye explained that they heard reports of illegal entry of the mine by persons through unauthorised routes.
“Our security patrol picked up a couple of them and their wares and what they went for. By the time we got up to separate we they had some of their colleagues coming to free them and in the process attacked some of our security men and some policemen,” he said on Monday.
He revealed that the incident has been reported to the police who are looking into the matter.
Mr Osei Boakye added that the Golden Star Resources will issue an official statement communicating their position in due course.
The incident comes just hours before President Akufo-Addo heads to the region for the commissioning and sod-cutting of projects.
The President is also expected to inaugurate a community mining programme in the area.
- Developing world faces $2.5trn shock; Ghana behaves like rich sultanate in the gulf – Bloomberg
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- Kweku Antwi Boasiako: Etymology of husband and wife
- World Cup 2022: Brazil ‘in pain’ after exit on penalties against Croatia
- World Cup 2022: Messi the master as Argentina beat Netherlands in chaotic Qatar classic
- Newmont Ahafo Mine recognised for spearheading Agricultural Development in Ahafo
- DBG participates in AADFI CEOs FORUM for African DFIs
- Kuami Eugene, Adina, Joe Mettle, Lasmid and others to thrill fans at 2022 MTN Carols Night
- Government to set up Agricultural Development Zone in Northern Region
- Remembrance yields praises —Elder Nana Amo Tobin
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter
- Stay away from workers’ pension funds – CWU tells government
- Canada: Quebec makes oath to King optional for politicians
- Ghana produces first locally trained Geriatrician