A few days ago, Ghana and the world woke up to the news that one of its sons, Bishop Dag Heward-Mills, had been electedto serve on the Executive Council of the Pentecostal World Fellowship. This election, which took place at the just ended 24th Pentecostal World Conference held in Sao Paulo, Brazil, gathered tens of thousands from Pentecostal Churches from around the world.
The 6o year old Pentecostal World Fellowship is a cooperative body of Pentecostal churches and groups around the world by mutual agreement. Triennially, the Pentecostal World Fellowship organizes the Pentecostal World Conference for Pentecostal and Spirit-Filled leaders.
Notable amongst the speakers at this year’s conference was Rheinhardt Bonke, one of the world’s most outstanding evangelists today. He said God had asked him to come there to hand over his mantle to the next generation.
Bishop Dag Heward-Mills, the founder and Presiding Bishop of Lighthouse Chapel International and the founder of the Healing Jesus Campaign (Africa’s largest evangelistic organization), has grown the Lighthouse denomination from the humble beginnings in1988 of a single church in Accra, Ghana, to a worldwide Christian denomination with close to three thousand branches in 83 countries. Driven by his passion to fulfill God’s great commission, Bishop Dag Heward-Mills has defied all odds and stereotypes to establish Lighthouse Chapel International branches in all the five continents of the world.
Bishop Dag Heward-Mills through his booksand Give-Thyself-Wholly-Work of the Ministry Conferences,has impacted the church world greatly. His books, targeted to pastors and people interested in doing the work of God serves as practical guides. Pastors adore these books globally. ‘Loyalty and Disloyalty’, the book for which he may be best known has been translated to nothing less than thirty languages including, Chinese, Portuguese, Hindi and Korean.
It is believed that these and many other contributions made to the church world, are factors that led to his being noticed and hence his being overwhelmingly voted to serve on this august seven member body of renowned church leaders. Some others voted onto the Executive council at the conference were Dr. Young Hoon Lee, successor to Dr. David Yonggi Cho, pastor of the largest church in the world and Bishop Charles Blake, the Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ, a leading African American Pentecostal denomination. Bishop Blake’s church, the West Angeles Cathedral, is where Hollywood stars like Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and Stevie Wonder fellowship.
Bishop Dag Heward-Mills, a trained Medical Doctor, has also served on the Church Growth International Board since 1996 and is the founder of the National Association for Charismatic and Christian Churches (NACCC) in Ghana.
Have your say
More Opinion Headlines
- Dr. Kojo Asante writes: Government won’t come to a halt if you pass RTI
- Narrowing the inequality gap by investing in Agriculture
- Why is it so hard for you to love me?
- Keta cats chase dogs awayyy!
- Tax reforms in the 2019 budget: key features we must observe
- Till death do us part: Little consideration for the other road users
- Cyber Security Month Celebration in Perspective
- Mobile Money: Communication or banking service?
- We need more women at the forefront of Nation-building
- Nana Akufo-Addo and the making of Bawumia
- Confronting Climate Change: Communication critical
- National Cathedral: No Duncan Williams, no!
- Reality Zone With Vicky Wireko: Loving the police - But my beef is…
- Reality Zone With Vicky Wireko: Prince of Wales’s visit – Any significance for Ghana?
- Madina-Adenta Protest: My Perspective