Audio By Carbonatix
Organised Labour has rejected a 12 per cent salary increment offered by the government following days of negotiations.
Tuesday’s meeting which ended in a stalemate will reconvene later today, where workers say they will push for more.
Representatives of the Unions indicated that the 12 percent is not adequate to take care of their needs following a spike in inflation.
President of TEWU, Ambrose Yaw Kwadwodzah says they insist on a 60 per cent increase before the budget is read.
“This year’s conditions are far worse than last year’s when we negotiated for salary increment. We believe that what is left in the coffers is not being shared equitably amongst us.
“The so-called Article 71 office holders, one of their allowance is more than someone’s basic salary and that is not fair at all,” he noted.
His position is backed by his colleagues at the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT).
Speaking to JoyNews, the Association’s President, Dr Isaac Owusu said, “This is not something too much for the government to do for public sector workers who are rendering service in the interest of the nation.”
“When we were negotiating for 2021/2022 raise, it was 4 and 7 per cent respectively and you saw the pressure that came on the leadership of the organised labour. Aside from that, look at the current economic situation that the workers find themselves in, left with the members alone, they would ask for more than the 60%”
Meanwhile, ISSER Director, Prof Peter Quartey says government can only afford a 15 to 20 per cent increase should the labour unions push for more.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
2 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
8 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
10 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
14 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
15 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
18 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
19 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
20 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
26 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
34 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
36 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
39 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
44 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
44 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
50 minutes