Audio By Carbonatix
Minister for Roads and Highways Kwasi Amoako-Atta has disclosed that government has paid over GH¢750 million to contractors from January this year to date.
This comes on the back concerns by many contractors who claim they are still owed arrears by the incumbent government after the execution of some road projects.
“If we had not been paying contractors, they would have abandoned site. We saw it before 2017 when a number of contractors jumped site. Everybody was saying they had not been paid,” he said.
According to the Minister, government has since 2017 paid an amount of GH¢6 billion to contractors.
“We have been paying a lot of money to contractors. Of course, it does not mean we don’t owe contractors.”
Mr Amoako-Atta was addressing the media as part of his six-day working visit of the five regions of the north. He revealed that “this year alone from January up to date, we have paid over GH¢750 million to contractors.”
He said last quarter of last year, President Akufo-Addo authorised that GH¢2.2 million be paid to contractors, an amount which he says has been disbursed.
The Minister for Roads and Highways also indicated that work on the ongoing Tamale Interchange project is 40% complete adding that the contracts for the construction of Buipe and Yapei bridges project have been awarded.
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
35 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
5 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
5 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
6 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
6 hours