Audio By Carbonatix
Canada women's football manager Beverly Priestman will not take charge of her side's Olympics opener against New Zealand after two members of her backroom staff were sent home for allegedly flying a drone over the Kiwis' team training session.
Priestman, 38, has "voluntarily withdrawn" from Thursday's match in St Etienne after the New Zealand Olympic Committee reported that a drone had been flown over their training session on Monday.
Jasmine Mander, Priestman's assistant, has been sent home along with "unaccredited analyst" Joseph Lombardi.
Fifa said it has opened disciplinary proceedings against Canada Soccer, Priestman, Lombardi and Mander.
The Canadian Olympic Committee say a scouting report filed by Lombardi was sent to Mander.
Priestman says she takes responsibility for the actions of her colleagues.
"I first and foremost want to apologise to the players and staff at New Zealand Football and to the players on Team Canada. This does not represent the values that our team stands for,” Priestman said.
“I am ultimately responsible for conduct in our program."
The COC confirmed on Wednesday that a "non-accredited member of the Canada Soccer support team" was detained by authorities.
"The Canadian Olympic Committee stands for fair play and we are shocked and disappointed," it added in a statement., external
"We offer our heartfelt apologies to New Zealand Football, to all the players affected, and to the New Zealand Olympic Committee."
The NZOC said it has "formally lodged the incident with the IOC integrity unit and has asked Canada for a full review".
"The NZOC and New Zealand Football are committed to upholding the integrity and fairness of the Olympic Games and are deeply shocked and disappointed by this incident."
Latest Stories
-
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
3 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
9 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
15 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
21 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
36 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
44 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
53 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
57 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
2 hours