The Ningo-Prampram MP is readying himself for the long haul with regard to deliberations on the Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values Bill 2021.
Though optimistic about its passage into law, Sam George, who is also a lead sponsor of the draft bill, said he will not be surprised if its cleaning up takes months.
“It is not a matter of days. It is a matter of weeks and months,” he told Accra-based Citi FM on Tuesday.
Parliament resumed sitting on Tuesday and is expected to rise on December 17.
Within this nine-week period, there are about 58 bills (excluding bills in Committee) on the agenda, of which three are private member bills.
The anti-LGBTQ bill, which has sparked widespread reactions, is one of those that will take centre stage.
More than 100 memoranda have been received from a broad section of stakeholders.
On the back of these, Sam George believes that “given the thorough nature of the work we want them to do, I think it will be unfair to expect that we can complete this before the House rises.”
The Finance Minister is also expected to present the budget statement on November 17.
With this in mind, the Ningo-Prampram MP is “not sure we can finish it; however, the leadership will determine the business of the House.”
- Al Sadd and Andre Ayew agree to contract termination
- Ghana officially opens its market to US pork and pork products export
- Close down Office of the Auditor-General – GHAMRO CEO fumes
- Monkeypox Outbreak: Ghana records four deaths, 116 cases
- Over 4,000 Burkinabes seek asylum in Bawku West District
- Oyibi Food Poisoning: 53 persons experienced symptoms of foodborne diseases – FDA
- Adomfe goes sombre as cop, family killed in fire are buried
- Minority Leadership Change: Party is not divided – Asiedu Nketia assures NDC-UK
- CHAN 2022: Black Galaxies suffer shock exit after Niger defeat
- Police interdict officer for leaving rifle in commercial vehicle
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- Full list of winners at 47th SWAG Awards gala
- Livestream: The Probe discusses Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Dr Ibn Kailan Abdul-Hamid appointed Head of UPSA’s Department of Marketing
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- CHAN 2022: CAF confirms change in kickoff time for final
- Newcastle sign Everton forward Anthony Gordon in £45m deal
- ‘We wanted a fresh start in 2023, but we have been worse’ – Klopp
- Brighton knock holders Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Moises Caicedo made ‘mistake’ asking to leave Brighton, says Roberto de Zerbi
- Pedri winner extends Barca’s La Liga advantage
- Chelsea sign teenage right-back Malo Gusto from Lyon in £31m deal
- Ghana signs agreements with Saudi Arabia on Hajj 2023
- Iraq reiterates support for Morocco’s sovereignty over Sahara
- Akufo-Addo’s loud silence on Auditor-General’s report shocking – Dr Apaak