The police in the North East region led by the regional commander DCOP Moses Ali Kpenchi have arrested 12 suspects in connection to Sunday disturbances in Chereponi.
They were arrested on Tuesday dawn at about 1 am.
On Sunday, some angry supporters of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) at Chereponi went on a rampage and vandalised the party’s properties in response to the President’s choice of appointee to hold the District Chief Executives position.
The violent supporters destroyed the party’s belongings that included vehicles, pavilions, and many other properties after Zuweira Mada Nasheru as Chereponi DCE.
The angry supporters said she just joined the party; thus, her appointment was unmerited.
According to them, Kofi Salifu Orlando has suffered for the party in the area and deserved to benefit.
The North East regional police spokesperson, ASP Robert Anabiik Angmain, led by the regional commander, stormed houses belonging to the suspects and arrested them.
The suspects include Kwabena Manteng, 43; Iddrisu Abdul-Rahaman, 42; Sumaila Ibrahim, 16; Kasim Latif, 65; Ibrahim Awuffor, 23; Osman Yussif, 36 and Mohammed Abdul-Latif, 29.
The others are Fuseini Bawah, 30; Kasim Abdul-Aziz, 28; Kwame Mahamud, 31 Bashiru Ayabli,29 and Arimiyaw, 22.
He said the suspects have been transported to the Regional Police Headquarters at Nalerigu for further interrogation and would be arraign before a court for possible prosecution.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Ambulance case: State abusing its prosecutorial powers – Ato Forson’s lawyers to court
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- NDC Parliamentary primaries: We’re not protecting any sitting MP – Sammy Gyamfi
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- We have developed key interventions to safeguard clients pension funds- Enterprise Trustees
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training