The Manhyia Palace would hold a brief ceremony on Thursday to officially announce 83-year-old elder sister to Otumfour as the 14th Asantehemaa of Ashanti kingdom.
Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II on Monday named, Nana Ama Konadu as a successor to her mother, the late Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II, 111, who ruled as Queen mother for 39 years.
The announcement yesterday was greeted with cheers and the smearing of white powder on the royal household of the Asantehemaa.
Luv Fm’s Erastus Asare Donkor reports that the announcement of Nana Konadu as the next queen mother brought smiles to the royal household after several days of gloom and mourning.
The Asantehemaa’s household smeared white powder on themselves and celebrated with palm wine.
Nana Ama Konadu is 83 years and the eldest of five of the remaining sisters of the Asantehene.
Affectionately called Nana Panyin, she’s a reserved person and a trader who until recently dealt in traditional cloth.
Though the Gyaase clan and the royal family have been notified as tradition demands, Thursday’s official announcement to Asanteman paves way for a series of rituals that will lead to her grand outdooring and swearing in.
After the final rites of Nana Afia Serwaa Kobi Ampem II, Kokofuhemaa, Osagyefo Kusiwaa Moa Baayie, was acting as the Asantehemaa.
After Thursday, a series of rituals will commence to introduce her to the ancestors.
“The impending Dapaa and Akwasidae after Thursday will her placed before the ancestors through rituals. Then a date will be set to officially outdoor. She will sit in a Seiko and be paraded through the principal streets of Kumasi,” Kokofuhemaa explained.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Asiedu Nketia's days as overlord are over – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC delegates will elect new executives - Spio-Garbrah predicts
- Bawumia, Ofori-Atta need to check meaning of social intervention – Haruna jabs
- You’re either a witch or wizard if you don’t support Mahama – Allotey Jacobs
- Photos: NDC delegates elect new executives
- NDC delegates involved in car crash
- Mahama criticises govt's 'inept' handling of banking crisis
- Take your own advice – Rawlings tells NDC leaders
- We are also citizens, not spectators - Mahama replies Akufo-Addo
- Live NDC Congress: Voting begins
- Race to fix the lame horse? NDC goes to polls
- Minority takes on Speaker over “capricious” action
- New Regions debate: Minority walks out of Parliament
- IMANI's first budget analysis on energy
- Group slams MPs over "archaic" interruption during 2019 budget reading