Fuseini refutes claims of road fund depletion

Fuseini refutes claims of road fund depletion
Source: Ghana | Myjoyonline.com
Date: 04-10-2017 Time: 06:10:56:am

Former Roads and Highways Minister, Inusah Fuseini, has accused the current administration of peddling falsehood over claims funds earmarked for the rehabilitation of the country’s roads have been used up by the John Mahama-led administration.

Mr Fuseini says allegations that the Mahama administration used the road fund as a collateral for a GH¢1.5 billion UBA loan, thereby making the current administration unable to access the fund, is needless propaganda.

According to him, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) government left as much as GH¢600 million in the road fund as of January 7, 2017.

Advertisement

“Firstly, it is wrong and untrue to say the Road Fund procured a 1.5 billion cedis loan from UBA it was 1.2 billion Ghana cedis. Parliament gave approval for us to securitize up to 1.5 billion Ghana cedis but Road Fund took 1.2,” he said, insisting that due process was followed.

“We left 600 million Ghana cedis in the Fund at the time we were leaving government,” he said on Newsnite on Joy FM, Tuesday.

Current Deputy Minister of Roads and Highways, Anthony Karbo had said that the amount of money available for the Ministry in the Road Fund to undertake projects in the sector had significantly reduced.

Mr Karbo had been trying to explain why road rehabilitation had stalled.

Meanwhile, the key road infrastructure remains deplorable.

Related:Hot Audio: Bad roads: Gov’t collateralised Road Fund for GHȻ1.5bn loan

Photos: Deadly potholes on Accra-Tema motorway

Share this story



Leave a comment


What others are reading
EPL Wrap: Man City set new record, Lukaku header gives Man Utd nervy win
‘Ghana beyond aid’ is a call to action not end to donor support – MP defends