The maiden edition of the pre-election debate for aspiring National Executive Officers of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) was nearly marred after three aspiring National Womens’ Organizer boycotted the event.
The organizers of the event had no choice but allow the incumbent women’s organizer Hajia Zaynab Maham to mount the stage and share her vision with hundreds of delegates present.
Hajia Tawa Zakari, Dr Hannah Louisa Bissiw and Margaret Chiravira failed to show at the event. It is unclear why the three decided not to participate in the debate although organizers claim they were invited.
The incumbent Hajia Joyce Mahama, addressed the over 100 delegates who attended the event.
A fellow of the Center for Social Democracy, Antonio Edem Asiyo was disappointed that the three aspirant’s failed to participate in the debate.
The atmosphere was lit when moderators of the event announced the turn of aspiring national youth organizers. The three candidates Brogya Gyamfi, Wonda Madilo and George Opera Addo are unanimous on the need to fight for recognition of the youth front in the party.
The NDC national delegates congress to elect executive officers was originally fixed for October 20, but was postponed to Saturday, November 3, 2018, following what the hierarchy of the party said was due to challenges the organizers had with their venue of interest.
A total of 67 members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) have picked up nomination forms to contest for the various national positions ahead of the 2020 general election.
Among the list are a former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mrs Betty Mould Iddrisu; a former Local Government Minister, Mr Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, and a Vice Chairman of the NDC, Alhaji Huudu Yahaya, who are all contesting the position of national chairman.
The incumbent General Secretary of the party, Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketia, and his deputy, Mr Koku Anyidoho, both picked forms to contest the general secretary position.
Other positions where people have picked forms to contest are national vice-chairpersons, national deputy general secretaries, national organiser, and two deputy national organisers.
The rest are national communications officer, two deputy national communications officers, national Zongo Caucus Coordinator, national youth organiser, national women’s organiser, two deputy women organisers and five other executives positions without portfolios.
More Politics Headlines
- Bawumia mocks 'General Mosquito' over new Master's degree
- Anlo chief set to mediate Bimbilla chieftaincy dispute
- Minority calls out gov’t over employment data
- A Pratt-Baako ticket for 2020… To break NPP-NDC stranglehold
- Gov’t says 611,397 new jobs created between 2017 and 2018
- Builsa chiefs install Akufo-Addo 'Chief for the Poor and Vulnerable'
- Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre used ¢2m without approval - Report
- Akufo-Addo cuts sod for construction of Tamale Airport Phase II
- House of Chiefs defers Bunkpurugu conflict verdict
- PDS saga: Information Minister rubbishes Minority's petition to U.S.
- 'Free SHS has come to stay' - Mahama
- Minority petitions US ambassador over PDS debacle
- V8 scandal will not affect MP bid - Dumelo
- Apaak wants OSP to prosecute NPP members, FC officials over rosewood export
- $1m payment to Kroll Ass: Sanction Finance Ministry officials - PAC Chair