Government’s draft diaspora engagement policy is now available for input by stakeholders ahead of the 2019 Homecoming Summit.
The Policy is aimed at targeting and encouraging more Ghanaians in the diaspora to bring their technical skills, money and other investment opportunities back home to complement growth and development.
The Director of the Diaspora Affairs Office, at the Office of the President, Akwasi Awuah Ababio told the press at a briefing Monday that, the document would be made available to participants at this year’s Ghana Diaspora Celebration and Homecoming Summit in July.
“This policy document covers all aspects and concerns by diasporas and would become the guiding principle and the policy with which every government would work with, relative to the diasporan affiliated to Ghana,” he said.
Mr Awuah Ababio added that government recognizes the contributions of diasporans and has charged his Office with the responsibility of institutionalising the Ghana Diaspora Celebration and Homecoming Summit which has now become a biennial event.
He disclosed that this year’s Summit will take place at the Accra International Conference Centre from July 3-6.
According to him, it is specially designed to recognize and celebrate the immense contributions to nation-building by diasporans as well as non-Ghanaians with roots to or a strong vested interest in the country.
“We are expecting delegates from over 50 countries to attend the three-day summit who can further aid Ghana’s socio-economic development, maintain its position as a leader on the African Continent, and network with like-minded people” he added.
Mr Awuah Ababio said various committees and subcommittees from various countries were together to hold stakeholder meetings and organize road shows, detailing the objectives of the summit and the role every person with Ghanaian connection can play in the development of Ghana.
These road shows were organized in Belgium, Canada, UK, USA and many other countries.
The Ghana Diaspora Homecoming Summit will be crowned with a gala on July 6.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman