Former President John Dramani Mahama is continuing his two-day tour of selected coastal communities in the Greater Accra region.
He will be visiting the Bortianor Ngleshie Amanfro, Ablekuma South and Odododiodio constituencies.
Tuesday’s visit and interactions with a number of fishing communities took him to the Ada, Sege, Ningo Prampram and Kpone Katamanso constituencies.
In his interaction with the people, the former President thanked them for their continued support for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) over the years and the massive votes for the NDC in the 2016 elections, in their constituencies. He also thanked the people for their support for him personally, which culminated in his election as flagbearer of the party.
Reacting to the concerns raised by the people and their leaders during the interactions, Mahama assured the fishing communities that the next NDC government will continue with its policy of been a friend of the fisherman.
“The NDC is the party that brings development and infrastructure, so you can be assured that your concerns about the neglect of your communities and the discontinuation of the sea defence projects in the Ada to Ningo Prampram coastal belt has been noted, and we will resume and complete them”, he noted.
He also reminded them of the social infrastructure projects undertaken by his government across the country including health centres, CHPS compounds and schools, which benefited the people directly and improved access to these facilities and services.
In Sege, he referred to the new polyclinic that was completed and urged the people to campaign and vote for the NDC in 2020 so that the NDC can continue with its development-oriented governance.
He promised the fishermen that he will reinstate the policy of handing over premix fuel to local Landing Beach Communities without any intermediaries so that the communities can manage its distribution and use the proceeds to undertake community-desired projects.
Mr Mahama also assured the fishermen that his administration will in 2021 re-introduce the supply of outboard motors on credit and at reduced prices to benefit the people. He also promised the fishmongers that the building of cold stores along the beaches and supply of ‘Ahorto’ ovens to the fish smokers will also be resumed.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Prof Edmund Delle resigns as CPP Chairman
- NDC, civil society and others punch holes into Vigilantism Bill
- Ex-NCA officials ordered to open defense in $4M misappropriation saga
- Zanetor Rawlings rebukes Korle-Klottey Assembly for lateness
- Be less partisan on Vigilantism Bill- Majority Leader to Committee
- Let Amidu start with your own men - Mahama's aide to Akufo-Addo
- OccupyGhana lauds RTI presidential assent
- Special Prosecutor ‘completely wrong’ – Ayariga responds to charges
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections