Audio By Carbonatix
A Deputy Minister of Finance, Dr John Kumah has backed government’s decision to sell the controversial Saglemi Housing project to a private developer.
He says the decision is the best in the scheme of things currently and that per the amount spent on the project already, the houses are no longer affordable.

Speaking on the JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, the Ejisu MP said the government will be transparent in choosing a buyer.
“The project is no longer affordable per the arrangement that has happened to it because if you divide $200 million by 10,000, you are going to get it at $10,000 and they reviewed it to 1,500 (housing units) which makes it up (from) $40,000 to $50,000 per unit. So how affordable can that be?

“So in the present circumstances, the best option is to bring the private sector in,” he insisted.
The facility birthed by the erstwhile National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration, was originally meant to be a 10,000 residential units later reviewed to 5,000 units facility to ease the accommodation deficit in the country.
It sits on a 300-acre land with one to three-bedroom flats for low-income earners. But since the NDC left office in 2017, the project has been mired in controversy with two former government officials being prosecuted.
Last week, the Works and Housing Minister, Francis Asenso Boakye announced plans to privatise the project.
Meanwhile, the Minority in Parliament has cautioned the government to discard the plan.
The Minority Spokesperson for Works and Housing, Vincent Oppong Asamoah said the project is viable therefore, “government should be compelled to look for funds to complete the project instead of privatisation.”
This, he said should be the task of Parliament’s Works and Housing Committee.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
2 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
8 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
10 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
13 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
15 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
18 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
19 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
20 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
26 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
34 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
35 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
39 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
44 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
44 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
50 minutes