Queen Elizabeth II, the UK’s longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.
Her family gathered at her Scottish estate after concerns grew about her health earlier on Thursday.
The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.
With her death, her eldest son Charles, the former Prince of Wales, will lead the country in mourning as the new King and head of state for 14 Commonwealth realms.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.
“The King and the Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.”
All the Queen’s children travelled to Balmoral, near Aberdeen, after doctors placed the Queen under medical supervision.
Her grandson, Prince William, is also there, with his brother, Prince Harry, on his way.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Ghanaian nurses to work in UK under new deal – Agyemang Manu
- ‘Thank you Dede Ayew’, tweets ‘praise’ Stars captain for missed penalty as Brazil mauls South Korea
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- All Agenda 111 hospitals cannot be completed by 2024 – NPP MP
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Labour unions kick against any ‘haircut’ on pension funds of workers
- IMF is getting cold feet on deal with Ghana – Ricketts-Hagan alleges
- Debt Exchange: Do not touch our pensions – TUC warns government
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Man jailed 21 years for shooting Lady Gaga’s dog walker
- Biography of Prof. Justice Henrietta Mensa-Bonsu to be launched in Accra
- Fifa opens disciplinary proceedings against Uruguay FA and four players after Ghana clash
- No more airplane mode – EU to allow calls on flights
- Huawei equips 500 traders with Financial Technology￼
- UK consumers tighten belts before Christmas as cost of living bites
- So many people in Ghana camp at the World Cup may have been a distraction – Osei Owusu Bempah
- 9 drown during baptism ceremony in Johannesburg
- ‘It is injurious to pension contributors’ – Chamber of Corporate Trustees reject Debt Exchange programme
- Schoolgirl killed in knife attack in Germany
- Withdraw inclusion of pension funds from debt exchange programme – Nurses and Midwives to government
- YEA increases monthly allowances for Community Protection Assistants
- Agric Minister begins tour of Northern Ghana
- Don’t always go after white collar jobs, venture into farming – Asantehene tells youth, traditional leaders