Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Meteorological Agency (GMA) has announced that rains accompanied by thunder and windy conditions would affect some parts of the country in the afternoon of Sunday, April, 24.
In a tweet to announce this, GMA said the rains would affect Accra, Ashanti, Central and other regions in the south of the country.
“Rain, thunder and windy conditions are expected later this morning over the Volta before drifting to the Eastern, Gt. Accra, Ashanti, Central and Western regions in the afternoon,” GMA said in a tweet.
Rain, thunder and windy conditions are expected later this morning over the Volta before drifting to the Eastern, Gt. Accra, Ashanti, Central and Western regions in the afternoon.
— Ghana Meteo. Agency (@GhanaMet) April 24, 2022
Meanwhile, the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) has cautioned the public against indiscriminate waste disposal ahead of the rainy season to avoid floods.
The Upper West Regional Director of NADMO, Ahmed Mustapha cited choked gutters and poor drainage systems in the Wa Municipality as some of the causes of floods.
“We should all be ambassadors so far as flood management is concerned,” Mr Mustapha said in an interview.
He advised the people to change their attitudes towards waste management, as waste materials choke the gutters and stifle free flow of water, which causes flooding during heavy rains.
As we speak, some work has been done on the drainage system and work is still ongoing, that will reduce the occurrences of flood in the Municipality,” Mr Mustapha said.
NADMO has also indicated that it is collaborating with Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) to de-silt choked drains following the onset of the rains.
NADMO said indication from the Ghana Meteorological Agency is that there will be more rains hence the need to adequately prepare to avert or mitigate the impact of the floods.
Communication Director for NADMO, George Ayisi, said officers of the organization have been deployed to flood-prone areas to sensitize people living there.
“In flood-prone areas the sensitization is ongoing. It’s important that NADMO partners with the Assemblies to do some delisting and dredging and we will ensure it goes on,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
3 minutes -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
7 minutes -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
13 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
17 minutes -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
31 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
35 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
41 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
42 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
43 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
53 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
1 hour -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
1 hour -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
1 hour -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour