Audio By Carbonatix
The Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has called for an independent investigation into the attack of some police stations by suspected members of a secessionist group in the Volta Region.
Sammy Gyamfi said government is complicit considering its failure to nip their activities in the bud as the police claim to have had intelligence.
Speaking on Newsfile Saturday, he alleged that there may be state officials involved in the work of the group.
"For me, this is not a matter of intelligence failure, we are dealing with a situation which is more complex than some of us think. We are dealing with a situation which potentially has the involvement of state actors.
"The governmental complicity in this matter for me is so glaring and that is why we must have an independent investigation into this matter and find out what happened," he said.
Mr Gyamfi argued that government hasn’t attached the same level of seriousness it did to the deployment of soldiers with regard to the actions of the Western Togolanders like it did during the voters’ registration exercise.
In his view, it would have aided to fish out the offenders in order for them to be dealt with them as stated in the law.
“The reason their activities are spiralling beyond our control is because the Akufo-Addo government has been pampering these criminals. The approach so far has been very lukewarm and lack-lustre very nonchalant. It’s like they don’t care and are unperturbed about what is happening,” he said.
At the dawn of Friday, September 25, some armed men raided police stations at Mepe, Aveyime and other parts of the Volta region.
The group at Mepe after hoisting a Western Togoland flag joined their colleagues at the Aveyime Police Station, seized two police vehicles, and injured an officer.
The group who have for some time demanded independence from Ghana have named their territory as Western Togoland.
The leadership of the Western Togoland separatists later ordered the immediate exit of all Ghanaian security forces from the Volta Region.
One member of the group is reported to have died in a fire exchange with the joint security team which were deployed to restore calm.
Meanwhile, 31 people were arrested and flown to the offices of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) office in Accra for questioning into happenings in the region.
So far, the National Peace Council, influential persons and some members of the public have condemned the Western Togoland Secessionist group.
Latest Stories
-
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
5 minutes -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
27 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
51 minutes -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
1 hour -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
2 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
3 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
3 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
3 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
5 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
6 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
6 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
6 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
7 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
7 hours