The Northern Regional Minister, Salifu Saeed had raised concerns about the poor performance of most Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) in the areas of sanitation and waste management.
Addressing the 2020 International Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (IWASH, 2020) conference organized by the University for Development Studies (UDS) and the Desert Research Institute of the United States of America in Tamale, Mr Saeed said poor environmental sanitation poses a serious health risk and an affront to human dignity.
”Currently, the Northern Region is made up of 16 MMDAs and has 2,755 communities. Out of this figure 57.5% representing 1,584 communities have achieved open defecation free status with the remaining 42.5%, representing 1,171 communities still practicing open defecation. This practice is dangerous and extremely harmful.”
He added that the resurgence of poliomyelitis in the region some months ago calls for urgent action and sustainability of WASH services.
In a speech read on behalf of the Minister of Sanitation and Water Resources, Cecilia Abena Dapaah said the government of Ghana spends apprioximately $290 million per annum to manage sanitation; an amount she indicates could been used for developmental projects and other infrastructure.
Describing the theme for the conference “Climate Change and Sustainability of WASH Services” as timely, the Sanitation Minister maintained the platform involving both local and international hygiene practitioners will be used to address teething issues and to share global ideas on climate change and sustainability of WASH services.
She said while bad sanitation continues to be seen as a threat to national development in Ghana, the state of sanitation continuous to get worse.
The Minister noted access to improved household latrines and public toilets which are essential in preventing fecal-oral transmission of pathogenic agents to humans and the environment is woefully inadequate and if they exist, they are not user-friendly.
She added that her ministry is ever ready to accept and implement the suggestions that would be listed during the two-day conference.
The Vice Chancellor of UDS, Professor Gabriel Ayum Teye said the exercise will give participants an opportunity to share experiences and ideas from various corners of the planet with the aim of improving the living conditions of the people.
He said issues of development are of great concern to UDS especially those that mostly affect the marginalized in communities and the issue of WASH cannot be ignored, hence the decision by the school to partner WASH.
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Exclusive photos: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- NSMQ 2022 launched; fixtures for preliminary stage released
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- Capt Ibrahim Traoré: From shy schoolboy to military ruler
- Twitter confirms it intends to close deal with Elon Musk
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- Uganda confirms death of another medic from Ebola
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- The real reason men cheat is sadder than expected
- If DVLA doesn’t reduce charges, fares will be increased by 30% – GPRTU warns
- Liberia arrests 3, seizes $100m cocaine haul
- World Bank cuts Ghana’s growth rate to 3.5% in 2022
- IMF negotiations: Government must work with greater alacrity – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo to meet House of Chiefs, MMDCEs today over galamsey menace
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, October 5, 2022
- Afenyo-Markin donates tools and equipment to Winneba NVTI students
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng