Senegal’s president has rejected claims that it would be unconstitutional for him to seek a controversial third mandate.
Macky Sall’s comments in an interview with the French magazine L’Express are likely to fuel an already tense political climate.
The constitution in Senegal was amended in 2016 to shorten a presidential term from seven to five years.
It states that no-one can serve more than two consecutive terms which the opposition says clearly prevents Mr Sall from running in next year’s election.
Critics of Mr Sall accuse his government of using the courts to sideline the opposition politician, Ousmane Sonko.
Mr Sonko is currently facing two court cases that could threaten his eligibility for the election.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Agotime Ziope DCE attacks NPP’s Dzifa Kaledzi; leaves her with an eye injury
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Why Wendy Shay is calling some artistes “thieves”
- Chris Hughton calls up Ransford-Yeboah Königsdörffer to replace injured Inaki Williams
- Socialite Van Calebs criticises popular comedians for offensive jokes
- Tottenham reach agreement with Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou to become their new manager
- Lay down your arms, we are one people -Yagbonwura appeals to factions in Lukula conflict
- Saudi Arabia’s PIF takes over Al-Ittihad, Al-Nassr, Al-Hilal and Al-Ahli
- District Court grants bail to 21 suspects in Lukula conflict
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Reliving 21 years ago armed robbery attack on me and my family
- Adom TV launches new season of ‘Adepam’ competition
- Supreme Court’s reasoning for kicking Gyakye Quayson out of Parliament strange – Sammy Gyamfi
- Ahafo Police begin investigation into mysterious death of NPP polling station chairman
- Kwabena Donkor hits back at World Bank Country Director over his claims on PPAs signed under NDC
- Ghana Association of Writers pays tribute to Ama Ata Aidoo
- Ghanaian student shines at George C. Marshall High School Awards in the USA
- There are no record labels in Ghana – Empress Gifty