Serbia’s parliament has passed a landmark resolution apologising for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre – Europe’s worst atrocity since World War II.
The motion, approved by a narrow majority, says Serbia should have done more to prevent the tragedy.
It stopped short of calling the Bosnian war killings a genocide.
The murder of nearly 8,000 Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) was carried out by Bosnian Serb forces – allies of then-Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic.
The massacre, in what was supposed to have been a UN safe haven, became a symbol for the atrocities of the Balkan wars.
Meanwhile, a Dutch court has rejected an attempt to hold the United Nations responsible for the killings.
The resolution – which the Serbian government sees as a crucial step in its attempts to join the European Union – was approved after almost 13 hours of heated negotiations in the Belgrade parliament.
The pro-Western governing coalition managed to pass the motion with a slim majority – 127 MPs voted in favour, out of a total of 250. Only 173 were present for the vote.
“The parliament of Serbia strongly condemns the crime committed against the Bosnian Muslim population of Srebrenica in July 1995,” says the text.
It formally extends “condolences and an apology to the families of the victims because not everything was done to prevent the tragedy”.
The head of the governing coalition’s parliamentary group said during the debate that approval would help close a tragic chapter in Balkan history.
“Condemning the crime against the Bosniaks of Srebrenica, while paying respect to the innocent victims and offering condolences to their families, will lift the burden off future generations,” Nada Kolundzija was quoted as saying by Serbia’s B92 website.
But opposition deputies criticised the text, describing it as “shameful” for Serbia. Some nationalist politicians voted against, while others abstained in protest.
Velimir Ilic, an opposition MP, said: “Why do you want to put a mark on the future generations that they will never wash away?”
Serbian nationalists had argued that any resolution must also denounce crimes committed by Bosniaks and Croats during the 1992-95 war.
The BBC’s Mark Lowen in Belgrade says the resolution comes after years of denial in Serbia that the Srebrenica massacre even took place.
The resolution has been criticised by Bosniaks and Muslims in Serbia because it does not describe the Srebrenica massacre as an act of genocide.
It has been recognised as such by the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague.
Several Bosnian Serbs have been convicted over their role in the massacre, when Bosniak men and boys were taken from their families and shot dead. The town had been designated a UN “safe haven” under the protection of Dutch UN troops.
The Bosnian Serbs’ wartime leader, Radovan Karadzic, is currently on trial in The Hague. The general accused of masterminding the killings, Ratko Mladic, is still on the run.
Lawyers for the victims’ relatives have tried to hold the Dutch government and the UN accountable for failing to stop the massacre.
But on Tuesday, The Hague Appeals Court upheld a 2008 lower court ruling affirming UN immunity from prosecution, which it said was essential for it to be able to carry out its duties around the world.
- Do you wear your shoes before socks? – Deputy Employment Minister asks UTAG leaders
- Couple pursuing same course graduate from UG
- UG-UTAG continues strike despite NLC directive
- Ato Forson pleads not guilty to charge of causing €2.3m financial loss to the state
- Bagbin returns to UAE for medical review
- Aisha Modi gave me ¢5k, not ¢500 – Psalm Adjetefio makes U-turn
- 1 out of 4 marriages registered at AMA in 2021 dissolved
- Azumah Nelson loses younger brother
- Man charged with manslaughter after 5-year-old dies following ski slope collision
- Do not take Ghana’s downgraded credit rating for granted – Prof. Mensah
Police confirm deadly clash between Nima and Mamobi youth
Livestream: Ghana Vs Comoros
Oppong Nkrumah charges journalists to project local opportunities
Akufo-Addo commiserates with Mali over death of former president Ibrahim Keita
76 Ghanaian startups to compete for Telecel Group, Africa Startup Initiative Program
Nobody can intimidate any chief under my watch – Asantehene
AFCON 2021: Milo’s ‘one-goal’ project is ‘un-Ghanaian’; you may ignore it – Omane Boamah to Black Stars
He is fit for training, not for matches – Ajax cast doubts on Kudus Mohammed’s availability for AFCON
We haven’t considered receiving migrants from UK – Foreign Affairs Ministry
Creation of new regions cannot alter the traditional authority of Asanteman – Asantehene
Withdraw semester academic calendar for pre-tertiary schools – Minority to GES, MoE
Ghana’s unemployment rate is a national security threat – Dr Twumasi Baffuor
Central Region GNFS exceeds IGF target for 2021
George Duker adjudged Best Performing Deputy Minister for 2021
Nsoromma season 4: Check out performances by top 12 contestants