Audio By Carbonatix
Sierra Leone has launched a free healthcare plan for pregnant women, breast-feeding mothers and children under five years old.
The country has some of the world's highest maternal and child death rates.
Doctors blame this partly on health service fees and the cost of medication, and hope the healthcare plan will help save lives.
But there is concern that Sierra Leone lacks the resources and infrastructure to support the new programme.
Ratiszai Ndlovo, Sierra Leone's UN Population Fund representative, told the BBC's Umaru Fofana that although medical equipment had been ordered and some drugs distributed around the country, everything was still not in place for the launch of the healthcare plan.
"It's not perfect, it's not 100%," she said.
"But I think we cannot start the programme with everything in a perfect condition."
Free healthcare in Sierra Leone is expected to save the lives of more than one million mothers and children, at an initial cost of $19m (£12m).
Other countries in Africa, such as Burundi, have also introduced free care to new mothers and children under five in recent years.
In Sierra Leone, the programme's main donors have been the UN and the UK, who between them have helped refurbish hospitals, supply drugs and pay health workers' wages.
Pay and conditions were the main grievances in a two-week-long strike in March staged by the country's public health workers.
They feared free care would result in more patients and longer working hours.
The dispute was settled when the government offered salary increases of between 200% and 500%.
Our correspondent says there are other challenges facing the healthcare programme.
For example, Sierra Leone's bad roads and the lack of ambulances means pregnant women living in the more isolated parts of the country are often slow to receive attention.
And some question how Sierra Leone will pay for free healthcare once the donor support runs out.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
8 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
18 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
27 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
27 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
27 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
42 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
1 hour -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours