Two white South African farmers convicted of murdering a black teenager who they accused of stealing sunflowers worth $5 (£3) have had their sentences overturned and are now free.
Matlhomola Mosweu’s death in 2017, in Coligny, North West Province, triggered protests and outrage.
A court had ruled in 2019 that the 16-year-old’s neck was broken and he was pushed out of a moving vehicle driven by the pair.
But Mr Doorewaard and Mr Schutte denied murder, saying the boy fell out while they were taking him to the police station.
On Friday, the Supreme Court of Appeal found the pair not guilty, and overturned their convictions and sentences.
Its judges said the evidence was contradictory and the prosecution “did not prove its case beyond reasonable doubt”.
- Final year SHS student allegedly commits suicide at Barkoniaba
- DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force following his attempted forceful removal from office
- We pay ‘big money’ taxes and yet they burn our equipment – XtraGold Mining Company
- NSMQ 2021: Archbishop Porter Girls’ outshines St Augustine SHS to qualify for National championship
- Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
- DCOP Opare Addo recounts chilling account of how he was harassed by members of the Delta Force
- Speaker Alban Bagbin urges SALL residents to petition Parliament
- Banks to soon adopt only National ID card as primary source of identification
- Those who created the national security monster have lost control – Kwasi Aning
- I was traumatised by police sirens – Koku Anyidoho on his National Security experience
Livestream: Government addresses nation on Covid-19 vaccination Phase II
DCOP Opare Addo had no locus to be in office, his contract has expired – National Security Coordinator
Ghanaian-German Centre for Job launches ‘Ghana Job Fair’ to tackle youth unemployment
Teenage pregnancy surge as Upper East Region records 6,533 cases
We must protect each other against covid-19 – Imperial General Assurance MD
MUSIGA to set up new Election Committee – Ras Caleb
DSP Azugu being at post is a dereliction of duty on IGP’s part – Agalga
How to know when it’s time to end a toxic friendship
Assault on Citi FM journalist: NMC writes to National Security Ministry for update on investigations
India unlikely to resume sizable Covid-19 vaccine exports until October
Lands Minister, Abu Jinapor embarks on aerial tour of River Pra
Hospital consultation made easy using Bisa App
Tamale police arrest 3 suspected kidnappers
GOtv launches M-Net Movies Pop-up channel to celebrate African film
Ghana’s democracy is veering into the arena of anarchy and tyranny – Koku Anyidoho