Forbes Club putted their way into history as the winners of the maiden Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League after beating of a stiff challenge from Nutterz Putterz in a showdown at the Ridge Sports City in Accra on Sunday.
The final matchday of competition reserved for the top six teams, comprising Forbes, Golden Putters, Power, Black Putters, Kama and Nutters Putterz. Forbes (118) and Nutterz Putterz (112) eased into the final as the two clubs with the lowest scores.
Nutterz Putterz, the homegrown team, fielded their best three-star players namely, Talal Fattal, Fadi Fattal and Hala Fattal as they took on the trio of Africa’s Minigolf champion Kelvin, Solomon and Bright in a highly entertaining 18-hole minigolf.
In the end, Nutterz Putterz scored 124 points while Forbes showed class with a score of 122 to win the competition and claim the top prize of GH¢2,500, a trophy, gold medals and a certificate.
Photo: Secretary-General of Ghana minigolf federation presenting the trophy to the 1st runner-up Nutterz Putterz Club
Nutterz Putterz were given a 32-inch television set by Melcom, one of the co-sponsors.
Other notable award winners were:
MVP League Player: Kelvin Boateng – Mobile Phone
Best Player Pair: Somasse Brun & Somasse Arthur – Microwave & Blender from Melcom
Best Female Player: Osse de Victoire – Microwave from Melcom
Best Club Hole in One: Forbes Club – Latex Foam Mattress
Best Male Player Hole in One: Kelvin Boateng - Latex Foam Mattress
Best Female Player Hole in One: Hala Fattal – Blender from Melcom + GH¢150 airtime
Best U-40 Player: Kelvin Boateng – GH¢500 shopping voucher from Interplast
Fair Play Club Award: Black Putters Club – GH¢500 shopping voucher from Interplast
Best on Time Club Award: Forbes Minigolf Club – Ceiling Fan from Melcom + GH¢150 airtime
Minigolf Spirit Award: Brave Warriors Club – Ceiling Fan from Melcom + GH¢150 airtime
Best Dressed Club Award: Forbes Minigolf Club – Ceiling Fan from Melcom + GH¢150 airtime
An elated Talal Fattal, President of the Ghana Minigolf Federation and Secretary General of the Africa Minigolf Sports Federation, remarked that, despite being the first clubs league competition in Africa, the Coca-Cola competition was very well organised and transparent.
He congratulated all participating clubs and said he was looking forward to an even more exciting clubs league next year.
The president of Forbes, Solomon Addai, said that his team was confident of winning next year’s competition with an even lower score, as he promised to ensure that his club had the strongest spirit of players to enable them successfully defend their title.
Supporting sponsors for the 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs League are Melcom, Latex Foam, Interplast, Azar Paint.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze