As part of GNPC Foundation’s core objectives towards providing sports infrastructure, the Foundation undertook a sod cutting ceremony today July 6, 2018, to begin the construction of Artificial Turf at Bekwai SDA Senior High School in the Bekwai Municipality of the Ashanti Region.
This is one of six of such projects to be done in this year. Another one will be done at Asokwa in Kumasi. Two will be done in the Western Region, Effia Kuma in Takoradi and Tarkwa T & A. One is earmarked for Duayaw Nkwanta in the Brong Ahafo Region whilst Koforidua in the Eastern Region will be one of the early beneficiaries. The Foundation plans to do six (6) artificial turfs every year for the next four years.
The site plan for the project was handed over to the contractor who has six (6) calendar months to complete.
The Chief Executive of GNPC, Dr K. K. Sarpong who cut the sod said the turf which is a " modern Barcelona standard type" will serve as a playing field for the school, the entire community and its environs. He stressed that the field is proven to provide the most grass-like playability and thus urged the authorities to take good care of it. The pitch comes with a fence, four (4) floodlights and a standby generator to provide light in the evenings when there is light out. This will make the facility usable at all times.
On his part, the Headmaster of the school, Mr George Oduro Yeboah thanked GNPC for honouring their promise made to them last year when the school celebrated its 65th anniversary. He also pledged to do regular maintenance on the facility to preserve it for future use.
In attendance were Mr Yaw Kyei, a Board member of GNPC and GNPC Foundation as well as Dr Kwame Baah Nuakoh, the Executive Director of GNPC Foundation and a host of other dignitaries.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke
- Boateng off to China as Levante announce transfer to Dalian Yifang
- Joshua Clottey’s return after three years motivated by regaining title
- 2019 Standard Chartered Trophy launched
- Khedira out of Juve game with Atletico due to irregular heartbeat
- Mukarama receives U-17 World Cup Golden Boot and Bronze Ball
- Barcelona fail to take chances against battling Lyon
- Liverpool frustrated by Bayern in Anfield stalemate
- GFA Elections: NC denies Master Degree requirement reports
- Supercopa de Espana: New four-team tournament set to be played abroad
- Hearts boss Kim Grant unhappy with lack of competitive football
- Kotoko coach reiterates CAF Confed knockout stage target
- Solskjaer praises Pogba as one of 'best attacking midfielders in the world'
- Sarri feels the heat as Chelsea fans turn on Italian coach