Lionel Messi views Argentina's impressive collection of star talents as a reason for optimism ahead of a "very even" World Cup.
The Barcelona superstar headlines a 23-man squad full of dangerous forwards, including Sergio Aguero, Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain.
However, a perceived vulnerability in defence has been raised as a barrier to coach Jorge Sampaoli's chances of leading the country to its first triumph since 1986.
Messi accepts the Albiceleste may not rank among the major contenders, but he sees their individual quality as providing hope for a successful tournament.
"We are going with great enthusiasm and much desire," the skipper told DeporTV.
"We have been preparing very well throughout our training camp. We have great players on an individual level and we will fight as an equal to any team, even if we are not the favourites."
Messi heads to the World Cup as the reigning Golden Ball winner after leading Argentina to the final in Brazil four years ago.
The 30-year-old, who has also been part of two squads to reach the quarter-finals, expects this instalment to be decided by fine margins.
"I have taken part in three World Cups in three different situations because of how they were played, and in all of them I took positive things," he said.
"The great favourites will arrive very well in terms of both their team and their individual players. I think it is going to be a very even World Cup."
Argentina commence their campaign against Iceland on June 16 before further Group D meetings with Croatia and Nigeria.
Follow the World Cup with the Multimedia Group! With live English radio commentary on Joy 99.7 FM radio, Akan radio commentary on Asempa 94.7 FM and live streaming on Myjoyonline.com, we've got you covered all-tournament long.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: How Kotoko and Hearts served a superb tactical semi-final
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach final
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss