Ghana’s Japheth Bagerbaseh on Tuesday caused a major upset in the Mcdan ITF World Tour when he shocked Nigerian Christian Paul in the first round match played at the Accra Sports Stadium Tennis Courts.
Japheth proved too much for Christian, ranked 1534. With cheers from fans at the venue, Japheth defeated his opponent in a game that ended 6-1,6-3. Japheth will now play tournament number 6 seed, William Bushamuka from the USA in the second round on Thursday.
In other singles games, Zimbabwe’s Mehluli Don Ayanda Sibanda seeded No.4 defeated Japan’s Kent Tagashira 6-2,6-1. Andre Gaspar Murta from Portugal also booked his ticket to the second round after overcoming Italian Francesco Bessire 6-4,6-3.
In the doubles event, Japheth Bagerbaseh paired with Daniel Quartey and ousted Nigerian duo Christian Paul and Joseph Imeh Uboh 6-2,3-6,10-6. Bagerbaseh and Quartey will battle it out against Portugal’s Andre Gaspar Murta and Ukraine’s Oleg Knotkov in the quarterfinals.
Ghanaians Johnson Acquah and Bernard Ashitey Armaah proved their superiority over Jurence Zosimo Mendoza from the Philippines and Kevin Zannou from Benin. Winning 6-4,6-4. Acquah and Ashitey will now face Tournament doubles No.1 seed Zimbabwe's Benjamin Lock and his brother Courtney John Lock in the next round.
In other doubles news, Benjamin Palm and Benjamin Fumi made themselves proud, after overcoming U.S duo William Bushamuka Bajwa and Luke Jacob Gamble 7-6(7),3-6,11-9. Darryl Hale from Great Britain and Sweden’s Niklas Johansson beat Great Britains duo Cheraag Bajwa and Nichols Nugent 6-7(6),6-2,10-5.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Valencia win Copa del Rey to end Barcelona's double dream
- Full list of winners at 2019 Joy Sports Invitational
- Sapholda Ventures crowned champions of Joy Sports Invitational 2019
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football