Audio By Carbonatix
Former England and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has been named manager of Saudi Arabian side Al-Ettifaq.
The 43-year-old had said in June he had been invited over to the country to "look at a potential offer" but that he would not be taking it up.
"Without a doubt, Gerrard's presence will be an addition and a quantum leap to our league," said Khalid Al-Dabal, the club's chairman.
Gerrard has signed a two-year contract with the Saudi club.
Al-Ettifaq were seventh in the 16-team Saudi Pro League last season, finishing 35 points behind champions Al-Ittihad.
Gerrard has been out of work since being sacked as Aston Villa manager in October last year.
The former England midfielder's move to Saudi Arabia follows a summer of heavy investment by Pro League clubs as several top European players have joined Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo in the Middle East.

Former Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves and Chelsea trio N'Golo Kante, Kalidou Koulibaly and Edouard Mendy are among those to move to Saudi Arabia, with Inter Milan's Marcelo Brozovic to Al-Nassr the most recent deal to be completed.
Fulham managed Marco Silva has also reportedly turned down a £17m offer to coach Al-Hilal.
The trend underlines the league's ambition to be one of the top five in the world and follows a decision in June by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which owns Newcastle United, to take over four leading clubs in the country. Al-Ettifaq is not one of those clubs.
Gerrard retired from playing in 2016 and his first managerial role was at Scottish club Rangers.
He took over the Ibrox side in 2018 and led the club to their first Scottish Premiership title in 10 years in 2020-21.
Gerrard then became Villa boss in November 2021 but left after 13 wins from 40 games during his time in charge.
Latest Stories
-
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
27 seconds -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
15 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
42 minutes -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
45 minutes -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returneesÂ
48 minutes -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
50 minutes -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
53 minutes -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
1 hour -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
1 hour -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
2 hours -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
2 hours -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
2 hours
