China will conduct comprehensive inspections on all ride-hailing service companies, the transport ministry said on Friday, after a driver from dominant firm Didi Chuxing murdered a 20-year-old passenger this month.
The inspections, starting from Sept. 5, will cover all ride-hailing service platforms nationwide, the ministry said in a statement.
Didi said it welcomed the move and would fully cooperate to implement measures for improvement.
“We accept the supervision and will do our best to improve our services to ensure the safety of the public,” Didi said in a statement posted on its official account on China’s Twitter-like Weibo website.
The murder of the passenger who rode in a Didi vehicle took place in the eastern city of Wenzhou, and was the second such incident involving Didi since May.
The latest case sparked outrage and raised concerns about safety in the fast-growing ride-hailing sector in China, prompting the company to say that it would suspend its Hitch service indefinitely until it comes up with a safety mechanism acceptable to its users.
Have your say
More Technology Headlines
- Millions using 123456 as password, security study finds
- How to protect your privacy on YouTube
- How to declutter your inbox and unsubscribe from unwanted emails
- KNUST students develop gas leakage detector that operates via SMS alert
- Facebook copied email contacts of 1.5m users
- Meet the firefighting robot that helped save Notre Dame
- Vodafone empowers students in Blockchain technology
- Machine learning will become a reality in the near future - ACCA report
- Game of Thrones suffers Apple TV glitch
- Facebook tests merging its News Feed and Stories into a single interface
- Gov't agencies owe NITA GH¢13m
- Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp suffer outages
- 'World's largest plane' lifts off for the first time
- It cost Facebook $22 million to keep Mark Zuckerberg safe last year
- Google to collaborate with institutions with launch of Accra AI Centre