Twitter has hidden one of President Donald Trump’s tweets from his profile, saying it violates rules about glorifying violence.
But instead of being deleted, it has been replaced with a warning and can be viewed by clicking on it.
The warning says “Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible.”
It is the latest in an escalating row between Twitter and the White House.
Mr Trump was tweeting about the US city of Minneapolis, which has seen consecutive nights of protests following the death of a black man in police custody.
The president said he would “send in the National Guard”, and followed that up with a warning that “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”
That second tweet was hidden by Twitter for “glorifying violence”.
Hours later, the official White House account tweeted a copy of the president’s words, which Twitter placed the same warning on.
Twitter’s policy of adding a warning to, rather than deleting, tweets that break its rules when it comes to major public figures was announced in mid-2019. But the social network has never used it on Mr Trump – nor deleted any of his tweets before.
“This is the bravest and riskiest thing I’ve ever seen Twitter – or any social media giant – do,” said Carl Miller, from the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media at UK-based think-tank Demos.
“This pours rocket fuel over the online-harm-versus-free-speech debate. Online content policy doesn’t get more incendiary than this.”
The same post remains unaltered on Facebook, without any warning attached.
The move means that other users will not be able to like, reply, or retweet it, Twitter said – but would still be able to retweet with a comment attached.
In a Twitter thread, the social network said: “This tweet violates our policies regarding the glorification of violence based on the historical context of the last line, its connection to violence, and the risk it could inspire similar actions today.”
The “historical context” is a reference to the phrase “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” coined by Miami Police Chief Walter Headley in 1967, in reference to his aggressive policing policies in black neighbourhoods.
A later US report found that his “get tough” policy, involving “the frequent display of shotguns and dogs by Miami police in black neighbourhoods” contributed to a state of agitation in the black community until the eruption of the 1968 Miami riot some eight months later.
Twitter said: “We’ve taken action in the interest of preventing others from being inspired to commit violent acts, but have kept the tweet on Twitter because it is important that the public still be able to see the tweet given its relevance to ongoing matters of public importance.”
Hours after the warning was added, President Trump tweeted: “Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party” and alleged that the social network was targeting Republicans.
Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party. They have targeted Republicans, Conservatives & the President of the United States. Section 230 should be revoked by Congress. Until then, it will be regulated!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 29, 2020
He directly referenced the executive order he signed the previous evening, aimed at removing some of the legal protections given to social media platforms.
Earlier this week, Twitter used its fact-checking function to attach warnings to the president’s tweets for the first time. That led the President to threaten to “shut down” the social networks over allegedly stifling free speech.
The executive order signed by Mr Trump has no immediate effect on the social networks, however – it instead begins a lengthy process that may result in changes down the line.
- NDC party has now become lame – Dan Abodakpi
- Ghana will soon deploy automated traffic policing system – MTTD
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
- 8 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,334
- Doctor withdraws notice to leave health centre after Bawumia donated equipment and supplies
- About 700 residents in Yapei rendered homeless after rainstorm
- Vaccine and safety protocols helping to prevent spread of Covid-19 – GHS
- Ghana Chamber of Bulk Oil Distributors swears in new board
- Ghana Mission in Washington, others donate $59,850 to Covid-19 fund
Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
Ghana’s economy to hit $70bn in 2021
Ghana’s investment climate attractive – Oppong Nkrumah
36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
Joint stakeholder group to examine unethical media content to be setup – Oppong Nkrumah
2 men killed as Tesla without anyone in the driver’s seat crashes into tree and catches fire
Today’s front pages: Monday, April 19, 2021
GIPC to ensure $2.7bn investment yields full benefits
Black Stars Coaches Arrears: Appiah and Akonnor paid combined $213,000
Don’t panic you will get a second Covid-19 vaccines jab as soon as possible – GHS
Cargill to begin ‘Safe Water Access’ project in cocoa-growing communities
Nana Kwadwo Jantuah: Beyond the galamsey dialogue, what next?
Teen charged in killing of 45-year-old Ghanaian Lyft driver in the US
‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia