Twitter said Wednesday it has locked President Donald Trump’s account for 12 hours, and warned for the first time that it may suspend him permanently.
The temporary lock reflects Trump’s violation of the Twitter rules, the company said.
“We have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity Policy,” Twitter said.
“This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets.
If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked.”Twitter added that “future violations… will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.”
The announcement marks a major escalation by Twitter against Trump’s account and responds to calls by civil rights groups for Trump to be banned from the platform.
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- Gomoa Okyereko accident: Man narrates how his family of 6 survived horrific crash
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Rampaging youth destroy property in Obuasi over detention of illegal miners
- Our African operations are profitable, contribute 50% to Group earnings says UBA Africa CEO
- David K. Awusi: Let’s stop the stigma to end adolescent pregnancy and reduce maternal mortality
- NYA urges youth in private sector to adopt modern trends of doing business
- Fixed investment to grow at a low 1.3% in 2023 – Fitch Solutions
- Canoe and Fishing Gear Owners Association of Ghana builds capacity of fisherfolks
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Trust Sports Emporium reiterates desire to support lesser-funded sports
- We’ll ensure Kpessa Whyte propagates integrity of the court – Law School Director
- MTN holds AGM, declares dividend of 12.4 pesewas per share
- Hohoe to host 44th NDC June 4 uprising anniversary
- NPP opens nomination for Assin North Constituency by-election
- President Tinubu tells Nigerians to stop panic-buying fuel
- Kwaku Antwi-Boasiako: Potholemics (The Economics of Potholes)