Audio By Carbonatix
Twitter has suspended more than 70,000 accounts linked to the far-right movement QAnon.
QAnon is a conspiracy claiming that President Donald Trump is waging a war against Satan-worshipping paedophiles in politics, business and the media.
Supporters were involved in the storming of the US Congress building last week.
Twitter suspends 70,000 accounts linked to far-right movement QAnon https://t.co/Jat9j7pr8F
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) January 12, 2021
Twitter has deleted accounts that “share harmful QAnon-associated content at scale”.
“We’ve been clear that we will take strong enforcement action on behaviour that has the potential to lead to offline harm,” Twitter said in a blog post.
“Given the violent events in Washington, DC, and increased risk of harm, we began permanently suspending thousands of accounts that were primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content on Friday afternoon.”
Twitter said there were “many instances of a single individual operating numerous accounts".
The accounts were primarily dedicated to the propagation of this conspiracy theory across the service, it added.
President Trump - viewed as a hero by the movement - has stopped short of endorsing the conspiracy theory but has described QAnon activists as "people who love our country".
In July last year, Twitter said it would crack down on QAnon accounts on the platform, stop recommending associated content and block URLs linked to it from being shared on the platform.
In 2019, the FBI issued a warning about "conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists" and designated QAnon a potential domestic extremist threat.

Latest Stories
-
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
34 minutes -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
42 minutes -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
52 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
1 hour -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
3 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
3 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
3 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
4 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
4 hours