Two dams constructed at Pishigu and Tong in the Karaga District of the Northern Region, under the One-Village One-Dam, have broken their banks thereby spilling water.
The strong current of the water entering the dams forced portions of the heaped sand and clay, meant to contain the water, to give way creating a huge outlet for the spillage.
After touring the two dams the Ghana News Agency observed that even though the rains were still coming, the dams could not hold and store the water and that could affect service to the communities, especially during the dry season.
When contacted Mr Alhassan Yabdow, the District Chief Executive, acknowledged the state of the dams and said they suffered some defects for which the contractors would be brought back to site to repair after the rainy season.
Checks by the GNA indicated that the Karaga Assembly was not involved in the planning and execution processes.
An official, who pleaded anonymity, said in future the Assembly would ensure that dams constructed met high quality standards to serve the needs of the people.
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Tullow Oil challenges GRA over $300m tax imposition
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- NDC national executives to meet Minority Caucus over reshuffle
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- National Labour Commission directs CETAG to call off strike
- Pope Francis appoints Rev Fr Samuel Nkuah-Boateng as Bishop of Wiawso Diocese
- Court threatens to strike out case against Agradaa
- Asiedu Nketia leads party delegation to attend Mahama-led lecture in UK
- George Ferguson Laing: Why the looming water crisis may be a glimmer of hope for climate awareness
- Change in Minority Leadership: Rescind decision – Dr Amoako Baah tells NDC national executive
- The Story of Prophet Elisha: Case Study of Apprenticeship for Ghana – Part Two
- Elon Musk denies Twitter use hurts Tesla as sales soar
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Africa Business Dialogues: Bawumia proposes focus on 3 broad areas for AfCFTA success
- Playback: PM Express Business edition discuss Debt Exchange Programme with Alhassan Andani
- Change in Minority Leadership: We cannot refuse to recognise the lawful decision – Kofi Adams
- B.A. Mensah: Ghana moves from Petrodollar to Petrogold
- MEASURES project puts Accra under spotlight for sustainable energy strategy development