Audio By Carbonatix
Multiple U.S. Secret Service agents have been placed on leave following an assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump last month, media outlets reported on Friday.
Fox and CBS reported that at least five Secret Service members involved in the incident, including the head of the Secret Service's Pittsburgh office, had been put on leave.
Security at the July 13 rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, has been under scrutiny, with serious concerns about how the suspect was able to access a nearby rooftop with a direct line of sight to where Republican presidential nominee Trump was speaking.
The Secret Service has said it was "ashamed" of the security lapse and its chief stepped down in the aftermath of the assassination attempt.
Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi did not confirm whether the agents were placed on leave but said "we are examining the processes, procedures and factors that led to this operational failure" and "any identified and substantiated violations of policy will be investigated by the Office of Professional Responsibility for potential disciplinary action."
Trump was shot in the ear, a rally attendee was killed and two others were wounded in the shooting. FBI officials have yet to identify a motive for the suspected shooter, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks, who was shot dead by a Secret Service agent after opening fire.
Following the attack, the Secret Service recommended that Trump avoid large outdoor events. Trump subsequently said he would continue outdoor rallies and that the Secret Service had "agreed to substantially step up their operation" to protect him.
Trump spoke from behind a shield of bulletproof glass in North Carolina on Wednesday, his first outdoor rally since the attack.
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
38 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
57 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours