Audio By Carbonatix
Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has donated GHȼ50,000 to the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG), to support the 47th edition of the SWAG Awards.
The SWAG Awards is held annually to honour distinguished Ghanaian sportsmen and sportswomen, and over 40 athletes who excelled and brought honours to the country in 2022, will be honoured by SWAG next weekend.
An aide to the Vice President, Tamimu Issah presented Dr. Bawumia's GHȼ50,000 support to the President of SWAG, Kwabena Yeboah, and Secretary General, Charles Osei Asibey on Wednesday.
SPORTS JOURNALIST, FEMALE FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
Out of the total amount, Dr. Bawumia is donating 10,000 cedis each to winners of two award categories; the Female Footballer of the Year and the Sports Journalist of the Year, with the remaining 30,000 cedis going to SWAG to aid its organisation.
Last year, Vice President Bawumia also supported the 46th SWAG Awards with GHȼ50,000 and similarly presented GHȼ10,000 each to the Female Footballer of the Year and the Sports Journalist of the Year.
Speaking at the 46th SWAG Awards as the Special Guest, Vice President Bawumia explained that his financial support towards the two special award categories, was to encourage female footballers. On the Sports Journalist of the Year, the Vice President explained that his support was to encourage sports journalists to continue to make meaningful contributions to the development of sports in the country.
After receiving the support, the President of SWAG, Kwabena Yeboah expressed the Association's gratitude to Dr. Bawumia for his support, once again.
The Vice President has often earned plaudits for his benevolent support to sports organisations, with beneficiaries including RTU, King Faisal, Hasaacas Ladies, Ampem Darkoa Ladies, SWAG, etc
The 47th MTN/Adamus SWAG Awards comes off at the Accra International Conference Centre on January 28, 2023.
The video below may interest you.
Latest Stories
-
Pereira announced as Forest boss on 18-month deal
29 minutes -
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
39 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
48 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
58 minutes -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
5 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
6 hours
