A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris, firefighters say.
The cause is not yet clear, but officials say it could be linked to renovation work.
Images on social media show plumes of smoke billowing into the air above the the 850-year-old Gothic building.
Last year, the Catholic Church in France launched an urgent appeal for funds to save the cathedral, which was starting to crumble.
A major operation is under way to tackle the blaze, which broke out on Monday afternoon, and an area surrounding the building in central Paris has been cleared, officials said.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Netanyahu's wife admits misusing public funds
- Roadside bomb kills several police officers in east Kenya
- Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner took in at least $135m in 2019
- Hong Kong suspends controversial extradition bill after mass protests
- Outrage in Tanzania over wig and hair extension tax
- Christchuch attack suspect pleads not guilty
- Kenyan MP arrested 'for slapping female colleague'
- German court rules mass-killing of male chicks legal
- Mexico says sale of presidential plane will curb illegal migration
- Gabon appoints white British conservationist as forestry and environment minister
- Public protector confirms Ramaphosa is implicated in Bosasa probe
- Russia has dropped charges against a journalist after protests
- Trump accidentally reveals Mexico migrant plan
- Ebola outbreak spreads to child in Uganda
- Chemical castration: Alabama enacts new paedophile law