Bill Gates is trending on Twitter in Nigeria following a phone conversation between the Microsoft founder and Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday.
Mr Buhari's personal assistant Bashir Ahmad tweeted:
Mr. @BillGates said he’s happy to be associated with President @MBuhari, restated his commitment to the success of the administration as well as the progress, prosperity and well-being of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He also expressed willingness to do more for the country.— Bashir Ahmad (@BashirAhmaad) April 17, 2019
But some Nigerians on Twitter have been asking whether it was really Mr Gates who made the phone call or the other way round:
Gates: Hello President Buhari.
PMB: Ah! Billy Billy.
Gates: Yeah, whatever! I just wanna discuss status of my NGO projects in your country....
Buhari Media: Bill Gates has called President Buhari to congratulate him on Election victory. Gates expressed joy at...
— Mr Stanley Nwabia (@MrStanleyNwabia) April 18, 2019
Other people imagined the reaction of presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar, who according to media reports, has said he would call experts from Microsoft, IBM and Oracle to testify that he defeated Mr Buhari in the election
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Netanyahu's wife admits misusing public funds
- Roadside bomb kills several police officers in east Kenya
- Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner took in at least $135m in 2019
- Hong Kong suspends controversial extradition bill after mass protests
- Outrage in Tanzania over wig and hair extension tax
- Christchuch attack suspect pleads not guilty
- Kenyan MP arrested 'for slapping female colleague'
- German court rules mass-killing of male chicks legal
- Mexico says sale of presidential plane will curb illegal migration
- Gabon appoints white British conservationist as forestry and environment minister
- Public protector confirms Ramaphosa is implicated in Bosasa probe
- Russia has dropped charges against a journalist after protests
- Trump accidentally reveals Mexico migrant plan
- Ebola outbreak spreads to child in Uganda
- Chemical castration: Alabama enacts new paedophile law