The weirdest thing happened a few months ago: I realized that I no longer wanted him anymore. I know myself very well; I know that when I love someone, then that’s it.
They’ve got my heart and it’s almost impossible to make me “un-love” them. Similarly, like a lot of other women, it usually takes me a long time to really let go of someone and move on.
What is so different this time around? I love myself way too much. I love myself enough to know not to chase someone who doesn’t love me enough. As cliché as it sounds, if someone is supposed to be in your life, then they will be. Realizing I deserve someone who will fight tooth and nail to be in my life and keep me in his has to be the most enlightening feeling.
Just like other people, I thought that the longevity of a relationship would affect the amount of time it took to heal over a failed relationship.
Here’s the trick, you only heal as fast as you want to. If you want to wait and just let the memories fade over time and let the situation eventually become something of the past, then you do you.
But, if you want the pain to stop and you want to free yourself of the torture, then the sooner you learn to love yourself, the sooner that will happen.
By all means, it’s a wonderful thing to love someone more than you love yourself. However, not if this means losing the person you are and hope to be.
If someone is weak enough to walk away, then you must be strong enough to let him or her go.
Odds are, they don’t deserve to be in your life anyway. It’s absolutely cheesy, but think about it: if the person you love decides to leave, then in the end, it’s you who has won.
They lost someone who loved them, you lost someone who clearly didn’t love or care enough for you. They lose and you win.
The sooner you realize how much you love yourself, then the easier it will be to leave the past where it belongs. The day I realized I love myself more than my disappointment for my failed relationship was the day I truly moved on.
Why? Because I know what I deserve, which is what every individual deserves: unconditional love that never dies, no matter what the circumstances are or how difficult life seems to get.
All of that time and effort you put into that person was definitely not a waste. Now you know how capable you are of loving someone, so just imagine how much more amazing it will be with the right person.
With the person who deserves you.
Recently someone showed me exactly what I deserve from a partner. As amazing as it is to stay and fight for love, there will always be someone else who can and will love you.
After enduring the brutal heartbreak, I know now that I should never settle again. In life, you sometimes have no choice but to settle and go along with the cards you’ve been dealt.
Not with love.
But, I absolutely refuse to settle for a mediocre love and you shouldn’t either. Love yourself enough to know you deserve a toe curling, make your palms sweat, sweep you off your feet kind of love.
– Sutharsy Sivabalan
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- We ‘neutralised’ 6 armed men in Bawku – GAF on allegations of killing 7 locals
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Digital Cooperation Organization hosts 2nd General Assembly in Riyadh
- We were not consulted on National Rental Assistance Scheme – Tenant’s Union
- Overheating, reusing oil increases cholesterol levels – Expert advises
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Teacher confesses to having sex in classroom with 12-year-old, police say
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Nigeria disagrees with ‘surprise’ Moody’s downgrade – Finance minister
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Alleged spy balloon over US is weather device – China
- I was admonishing Senyo Hosi on his emotions, not bondholders – John Kumah
- Public outrage in South Africa over possible Spurs sponsorship deal
- Let’s give peace a chance -U/E Regional Minister appeals
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- NPP likely to hold presidential primaries in November
- Designer Paco Rabanne dies aged 88