Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority Leader, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson says the Bank of Ghana (BoG)‘s justification for the GH₵53.1 billion of the total loss of GH₵60 billion it occurred 2022 does not add up.
According to him, the explanations justifies their demand for the immediate resignation of the Governor and his two deputies.
In tweet on Thursday, August 10, the Ajumako-Enyan-Essiam lawmaker said they will not relax until they seek their backs.
He said the Dr Ernest Addison and his deputies must be held responsible for the mess they have created at the central bank.
“I've seen @thebankofghana attempting to justify their actions! This further strengthens our stance that Dr. Addison and his deputies (the Printers) should be held responsible for the mishandling of the central bank and their blatant disregard for our laws! #AddisonMustGo,” he tweeted.
The NDC and its Minority Caucus at a news conference on Tuesday demanded the resignation of the Central Bank’s Governor and issued a 21 days ultimatum to Dr. Ernest Addison and his two deputies for superintending over the unprecedented ¢60.8 billion loss last year.
The Minority Chief Whip also aimed at the Central Bank for the construction of a new head office amidst the current crisis.
However, the BoG has replied saying that GH₵53.1 billion of the total loss of GH₵60 billion occurred as a result of government’s Domestic Debt Exchange Programme (DDEP).
According to a statement from the Bank, BoG stepped in to arrest a major economic and social crisis since the domestic auction was failing.
According to BoG, further downgrade of Ghana’s sovereign debt rating which blocked Ghana’s access to international capital market borrowing triggered a liquidity crisis, spilling over into a balance of payments crisis.
It added that “In 2 months, the Bank of Ghana lost $500 million in reserves and built significant overdraft with the government as a result of the auction failures.
“It became clear that Ghana was on an unsustainable path, and the Government had to approach the IMF for support in July 2022.
“The IMF process included putting into place a credible programme of reform, which included restructuring the total government debt to sustainable levels.
“Until the Staff Level Agreement with the IMF was reached in December 2022, the Bank of Ghana had to continue to provide the necessary support to keep the economy running.”
Latest Stories
-
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
56 minutes -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
2 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
2 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
3 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
3 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
3 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
3 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
4 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
5 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
6 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
6 hours